UK

hey RG - try using 27c020 or 27c040 eproms and doubling up or quadding up the PRG rom data for the prg rom with the following commands on your commandline:

copy /b ntrq_ntsc.prg+ntrq_ntsc.prg ntrq256.prg
^ gives u a 256kb image for 27c020

or for a 27c040 eprom:

copy /b ntrq256.prg+ntrq256.prg ntrq512.prg

Hope that helps! (it could be to do with higher address lines and possibly some nes board layouts being funny about small 128k eproms, I saw this behaviour once before when I was putting my first NTRQ cart together...)

Can you let me know if that cures the issue?
Cheers! \o_

PS as long as you use the ucon64 command -s and take the .prg file it spits out you are okay re; ines headers etc...

Milwaukee, WI

There's probably no way I can help, but it would be fun to have a NES hacking get together.  I can bring my soldering iron and Powerpak! wink

Milwaukee, WI

Shit. I only used the 27c010 because the tutorial said I should.   

So, find and use 27c020 chips then? Should the tutorial should be updated with this info?

@Analog What eprom was used for your cart? What is the board layout?

UK

hey RG - I've used 27c010 chips on most of the -famicom- carts I've built with NTRQ on... I think the issue is you are using a nin' board ... I remember reading that some of those are funny about smaller chips than the original game used (open golf = 256kb in size) if it does work out I'll deffo update the guide + if you get horribly stuck even after trying the 27c020 I'll just make you a Famicom cart with it on for being ace and trying out all this stuff :-)
\o_

Ciudad de méxico, MX

RG: I'll open the cart and take pics for you tonight.

Milwaukee, WI

I just reread my post, I apologize if I sounded brick about it!

Certainly, thank you for the help both of you. I'll get on this asap.

UK

hey all just a quick update on PR8 on h/w here: http://soundcloud.com/andy_l/ne7-pr8-demo-famicom + some sounds from the thing running off one of my famicom's that I modded for dual audio output (split chans) ... the issue we hit apon is that the Famicom (or real carts) seems to behave differently than the NES (or powerpack) on initialisation which was causing random startup probs. It seems that Neil's latest update he sent me has cured this tho :) so once I am thru this period of testing on the hardware I'll pop up a guide on how to put this together, cheers! \o_

Last edited by ne7 (Feb 6, 2012 5:29 pm)

Unsubscribe

I want one.

WOW MAN!

@ne7: I've updated both PR8 and Pulsar and both are available on the website.

http://nes-audio.com

Just want to say a big thanks to Andy (ne7) for an incredible effort to make this happen. Great work big_smile

matt's mind

for real!

Sweden

Cool Neil. Did you forget to update the texts:
Download V1.01, released 11th January 2012
And
7Download V1.03, released 16th February 2011

WOW MAN!

Oops, yes, yes I did!

Fixed now.

smile

Last edited by neilbaldwin (Feb 7, 2012 9:51 pm)

RG wrote:

[

Funny you dudes should mention this. We recently unearthed a cassette of a certain someone doing this exact thing. The tape was recorded around 95-96 and used the dezaemon cart for famicom.

More info soon.

This sounds interesting as well. I like to work with the dezaemon for famicom although it's quite limited.

But this an interesting topic. I love all these new developments.

Milwaukee, WI

Ok! So I tried the 27c020 and I'm getting the same silent boot screen and pattern freeze as before. I even tried a second NES Open cart and a second NES. No luck.

Any suggestions? This doesn't seem to want to work.

ne7 wrote:

hey RG - try using 27c020 or 27c040 eproms and doubling up or quadding up the PRG rom data for the prg rom with the following commands on your commandline:
copy /b ntrq_ntsc.prg+ntrq_ntsc.prg ntrq256.prg ^ gives u a 256kb image for 27c020 or for a 27c040 eprom:
copy /b ntrq256.prg+ntrq256.prg ntrq512.prg Hope that helps! (it could be to do with higher address lines and possibly some nes board layouts being funny about small 128k eproms, I saw this behaviour once before when I was putting my first NTRQ cart together...) Can you let me know if that cures the issue? Cheers! \o_
PS as long as you use the ucon64 command -s and take the .prg file it spits out you are okay re; ines headers etc...

Milwaukee, WI
ne7 wrote:

the issue we hit apon is that the Famicom (or real carts) seems to behave differently than the NES (or powerpack) on initialisation which was causing random startup probs.

Does this apply for NTRQ as well?

UK

Hey RG - I'll take a look at this here - just grabbing a NES Open Golf nes cartridge for testing! will keep u posted - once its working I'll pop you the cart and update the guide...