Yuma, AZ

So I know this is one that a lot of people can relate to.
You have some music out. You are developing a following (to some extent) and are starting to book more and more shows.
Maybe you have found one particular venue that you really shine at, and are fortunate to get a few shows there now and again.
More often than not, however, you end up with shows where you are booked with conflicting archetypes. (in my case hardcore/punk bands).
So that awesome set you slaved on falls flat to a bunch of disinterested concert goers there to see something different.

How do the rest of you approach this? I've found a couple of electronic-based groups here that are fun to play with, and a club that lets me play once a week or so. But my typical show is to an uninterested or generally confused crowd.

Being the only chip act in town is both a blessing and curse at times.

I thought expressing the uninteresting-ness of this thread would be funny.
But it's not. It's lame. Just like tough crowds.

Serve cheaper beer, maybe?
It's a bitch, but even >insert famous band here< played for 30 gazing zombies, I guess hmm

Michigan

just keep playing dude.

if you are really passionate about your music it will shine through, and eventually you wont care if people are interested or not.

whether i play for 2 people or 200, as long as im passionate about my music, its always fun

buffalo, NY

Yeah just go out there and own it.  I'm pretty good at what I do but I've had shows that BOMBED only to have one lone kid come up at the end saying I blew his mind.

So what it comes down to is this, even a crowd that's acting disinterested, might not be entirely.  Do you have broad tastes in music? Most people do.  Chances are any given crowd will too

Finland

I just love playing live so much that it doesnt really matter if people are super into it or just couple people head banging. During the first year or so I got sometimes frustrated about bad showtimes, no people showing up etc but luckily realized that Im not probably going to be next Justice or whatever and just started enjoying the shows as they are. And playing with punk bands rules, often they are good people. As long as venue / organisers give me little bit respect, Im one happy camper.

IL, US

i miss playing with punk bands and noise acts, i usually got a better reception from them than chip crowds in chicago..

Yuma, AZ

Thanks for the uplifting comments y'all!
I definitely enjoy what I do, probably more than anyone that ever watchesme (except this guy Bryon, that guy just wigs out when I play).
Sub-topic: Anyone in the AZ area want to play a show? lol. Maybe combined forces will create interesting results.

Unsubscribe
danimal cannon wrote:

Yeah just go out there and own it.  I'm pretty good at what I do but I've had shows that BOMBED only to have one lone kid come up at the end saying I blew his mind.

+1. I find that crowds don't really know how to enjoy live music any more, so just do your best show and see what happens.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

I found making chipmusic that sounds a bit like a punk/hardcore band and adopting a lot of the performance techniques of those genres really helped me with that crowd.

While I am partly joking, it is still 100% true.

Savannah, Georgia
10k wrote:

I found making chipmusic that sounds a bit like a punk/hardcore band and adopting a lot of the performance techniques of those genres really helped me with that crowd.

While I am partly joking, it is still 100% true.

i've never done a live show but that's a damn good idea

Lexington, KY

I have hands-down had my best shows with hardcore and crunkcore bands. (I hate crunkcore, but those guys love some gameboy music!) All I can say is this: Stage presence is everything. Jump around! Flail your arms! Do backflips! (Spine willing...)

Montclair, NJ

It was a rough climb for me since I live in a town that is mostly punk and shit, but over this two years, people get really excited to see me play local shows because it means they can mosh to something different. Not only that, but me and my friend have organized two local electronic shows that went over great (Decktonic played at the first one, KOOLSKULL and Bubblegum Octopus played at the second one), and I have inspired two other younger dudes in my town to get their own gameboys to start writing chiptunes themselves (One of these people i played a show with two weekends ago).

But, sometimes, and definitely most of the time in the beginning, it was/is super awkward.

Chicago

I got my first venue show (did a house show three weeks ago) booked on an all-hardcore bill.
As someone that comes from that scene, I know if I saw someone up there, vocals would help 'understanding' it.
when I did that house show, people that weren't my friends said to the effect of "I didn't get it, but I dug you were involved."
I thrashed around, did a lot of screaming... idk, I know that's probably gonna work for me. You gotta find what's best from you.
I know friends in bands told me try doing something different each night and see what sticks.

all that said, I've seen shows where I know everyone was into the band that was playing, but no one did absolutely anything all set, including me.
I guess a lack of crowd participation doesn't always mean a lack of interest.

Last edited by theghostservant (Feb 7, 2012 4:21 am)

Brunswick, GA USA
theghostservant wrote:

all that said, I've seen shows where I know everyone was into the band that was playing, but no one did absolutely anything all set, including me.
I guess a lack of crowd participation doesn't always mean a lack of interest.

Venues matter: sometimes your audience wants to chill and talk. If that's the case, are you able to be a good background for them?  If the audience as a whole aren't into you, can you spot the one person that is and address that person directly? It's not easy...

México, DF.

Tease the fuckers, take verbal actions and make them mad. Punk fellas love to be provoked.

The Mountains

I used to live in Nashville, a city where no matter what show you went to, doesn't matter how good it was, every single one of those fucktards usually just stand around like they have something better to do but they couldn't find a ride so they ended up at your show. And sometimes, that's just how they appear, when really they are having a great time and maybe for whatever reason just don't want you to find out.

Bottom line- it is your solemn duty to kill it, every night, no matter what, otherwise you are wasting your time and you may as well stay at home.

Side note, people who don't "get" chipmusic aren't going to be interested in you standing behind a table pressing buttons and turning a few knobs, even if you are holding a GameBoy™. Do something to entertain them.