Gosford, Australia

Yeah I haven't prosounded anything of mine either, just put a 4-pole notch filter on 9.25Khz and you're good to go as far as recordings go. Though when playing live running through a DI I would imagine the difference to be almost like night and day, right?

Lexington, KY

I bought a boss EQ pedal from a friend of mine for hella cheap and I'll say, it REALLY helps with live sound. It's not necessary, what with your mixer, but it certainly allows you to get more specific in your boosts and cuts. I HIGHLY recommend trying one out! (You can either run your gameboy to the EQ pedal and then to the mixer board or even run your mixer to the EQ pedal and then to your speakers/pa!)

Unsubscribe
Victory Road wrote:

Yeah I haven't prosounded anything of mine either, just put a 4-pole notch filter on 9.25Khz and you're good to go as far as recordings go. Though when playing live running through a DI I would imagine the difference to be almost like night and day, right?

It only really helps you in clubs with long runs from the stage to the house mixer. It doesnt make the dmg sound any better, just keeps it from sounding worse.

Gosford, Australia
herr_prof wrote:

It doesnt make the dmg sound any better, just keeps it from sounding worse.

That was pretty much what I was getting at! Along a 30+ metre cable run from DMG->DI->multicore->desk I assume prosound would probably make a world of difference.

USA
Jotie wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

^ neither custom graphics nor custom kits are something you need to play gigs

Thought so, that's some strange viral marketing right there

You caught me, I was shamelessly trying to market my services.

But my services are free of charge and I really do just want to help out my fellow artists in this community.

Honestly, all you need for LSDJ live shows are a computer running LSDJ in an emulator(preferably BGB) and a cable running from your computer's headphone jack straight into the house PA.

But I would highly recommend using a pro-sound modded DMG and an EMS 64m cartridge.(or multiple pro-sound modded DMGs and an EMS 64m cartridges running into a mixed then to the PA or keyboard amp)

Modifications to hardware and software are not exactly "necessary" but they can help you achieve certain sounds, techniques, or even an aesthetic that you simply can't get using stock hardware and software.

My personal live setup changes constantly depending on the needs of the set-list(songs) and venue.

The most important thing that you need to play a live show is practice, Practice, PRACTICE.

Gosford, Australia

OH yeah the thing about the notch filter at a very specific frequency: is that ringing just not there with a prosound or is it still there and everyone just EQs it out anyway? When I listen to recordings that were taken from prosound gameboys I can't notice it, but it's there in all of my recordings just ever so slightly. It's like -40dB ish but when you pump up the volume it's really noticeable, especially during short bursts of silence which I like to use a lot.

Y'know re: the ringing this has probably been asked a million billion times already anyway so I'll just figure it out for myself, haw haw.

St. Louis

All you need for badass shows:

1. Gameboy(s) with music software of your choice

2. A mixer to balance and equalize your boys

3. A table to set the above items on

4. Cables to connect all of the above.

5. A venue with a PA (they usually will have a DI box) and space to move about

6. And, most importantly, Badass jams and lots of hoes

I wouldn't over-complicate it, just write some songs and play them live. I do, however, think that pro sound is most necessary in a live setting, but if you don't have it, I wouldn't let it deter you from playing.

BOSTON
Victory Road wrote:

OH yeah the thing about the notch filter at a very specific frequency: is that ringing just not there with a prosound or is it still there and everyone just EQs it out anyway? When I listen to recordings that were taken from prosound gameboys I can't notice it, but it's there in all of my recordings just ever so slightly. It's like -40dB ish but when you pump up the volume it's really noticeable, especially during short bursts of silence which I like to use a lot.

Y'know re: the ringing this has probably been asked a million billion times already anyway so I'll just figure it out for myself, haw haw.

if you figure it out, post your findings! I use modded GBs for recording, obviously, but still can hear that 9.2whateverK ring a bit when Im heavy handed with the compressor. I wind up hacking it out with EQ, but some freq specifics would be nice. I haven't looked at it with spectrometer or anything.

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Feb 8, 2012 11:13 pm)

Idaho

Can you use 1/8th cables with 1/4 adaptors?

In my experience, that changes the quality of sound. Just get an 1/8" to split 1/4" so you can put your gameboys in stereo mixer channels.

I use those adaptors all the time! I should invest in straight to 1/4", though...

Oh, and you probably need LSDJ!

Godzilladelph
herr_prof wrote:
Victory Road wrote:

It only really helps you in clubs with long runs from the stage to the house mixer. It doesnt make the dmg sound any better, just keeps it from sounding worse.

Godzilladelph
Jotie wrote:

Okay, nooby question here.
I'm confuzzled.
The answers are all around the forum, but I'm still going to ask here because I need it summarized.

What do I need to play a live show?
I'm planning to buy a modded GB and I figured I might as well buy a MIDI mod if it's necessary for shows.
I would be running 1 GB with LSDJ, no Fruity loops or Ableton. So I'd need a link cable for syncing with other GBs.
Is a MIDI mod really necessary? Do I need other stuff too? Jack outputs?

Thanks

dunno if anyone else said this already, but you should really get yourself a personal mixer with either a usb or a firewire out. It doesn't have to be big, just like 2 channels, but it'll definitely help you in live situations if you're familiar with all your gear. The usb / firewire thing is for if you ever (you probably will) decide to record your jawns

I played at a drunk friend's house. Man, that house was drunk.
So was everybody there.

I need:
Link cable, I'm a beatmatch noob.
A new DMG WITH battery cover and FUNCTIONAL springs. + another lsdj cartridge
Light boy or desk lamp, I did it all cellphone lit, DIY as fuck.
RCA-cables, thank god they had some extra material with them.
Songs, totally forgot about songs.

Personal mixer isn't required, every venue has one.
Just plug the bastards in and mix with that volume button.
I'll have to get familiar witht them, though.

Granada, Spain.

I've always wondered... how do you guys change the tracks? I mean, the loading time... doesn't it kill the show? I've always supposed i would use 2 gb with the same 2 .savs and play each song on each gb to avoid the silence, I'll definitely do that