Godzilladelph
Solarbear wrote:

crunkcore bands. (I hate crunkcore, but those guys love some gameboy music!)

WHAT wait, those kinds of people actually exist?

Also, I highly recommend playing the most random shows possible, you'd be surprised who would like your tunes. Art galleries, house parties, club nights, street corners, whatever. If you really get into it and have a fun time, who gives a shit if the regulars like it?

England

In Cambridge people pay 6 quid to stand around the edges of dingy pub back rooms and look bored.

That's just how it is.

You get used to it.

Last edited by Jellica (Feb 7, 2012 12:58 pm)

Lexington, KY
SKGB wrote:

Also, I highly recommend playing the most random shows possible, you'd be surprised who would like your tunes. Art galleries, house parties, club nights, street corners, whatever. If you really get into it and have a fun time, who gives a shit if the regulars like it?

Agree.

East Kilbride, Scotland

Don't do what I did at my last show. After 3 songs played with talking right through the music then dead silence after, I said "right, fuck all of you", played one last song then left. It was one of the rare times where I really didn't enjoy a single aspect of the show.

So, yeah, bad shows. They happen.

uhajdafdfdfa

maybe don't play shows

generally people go to concerts to have a good time. if you can't supply that what are you doing? you have to be entertaining if you want to be an entertainer.

you can still muck around with live mode in your bedroom if you want to

England

Playing one great gig more than makes up for playing several crap gigs. Don't get discouraged if you have a string of shit gigs.

Lexington, KY
ant1 wrote:

generally people go to concerts to have a good time. if you can't supply that what are you doing? you have to be entertaining if you want to be an entertainer.

Spot on. As a matter of fact, you being entertaining has a LOT more to do with crowd reaction than your music. (Not to say the music isn't important, of course.)

Abandoned on Fire
ant1 wrote:

you have to be entertaining if you want to be an entertainer.

wisdom fatality

San Diego, CA

I always approach things with the mindset of "if I can impress one person, I've done my job." This makes it so that when I do play shows to three people (which happens a lot), chances are much higher that I'll come away feeling good about the show.

There's something to be said for ant1's approach though. I'm not saying that people should abandon playing shows completely, but maybe be a little bit more selective when it comes to playing. If the lineup/venue isn't looking great, maybe just don't play the show? It kind of sucks that that has to happen, but sometimes it's the best way to avoid coming out of it feeling like shit.

Along those lines -- it's important to keep yourself feeling good about playing shows too. It might take the form of playing fewer shows so that you can avoid being "saturated" and stuff, or it could simply be bringing a bunch of friends to a house show and having a good time. It's honestly really dangerous to play a show without knowing the venue or bringing friends, just because there's the chance of feeling really bad about yourself after the show is over. I feel like that's something that's often ignored in discussion of live performance, simply because a lot of people have a mindset of "if you're performing live, you're voluntarily putting yourself out there for criticism."

D D D Detroit, not the burbs
noisewaves wrote:

just keep playing dude.

if you are really passionate about your music it will shine through, and eventually you wont care if people are interested or not.

whether i play for 2 people or 200, as long as im passionate about my music, its always fun

This being said my favorite gigs to play are the ones where only the bands and other acts show up(with an exception to their ladies and friends).  If everyone gets chummy things are always a blast and everyone just looks to play their raddest set with some beer and new acquaintances.

Though the disinterested dont scare me, now if the dance floor clears out im an anxious wreck.

São Paulo, Brazil

Come to Brazil.

then you'll know what "uninterested public" means.

Lexington, KY

Haha!

you need a hype man! A friend that knows and loves your stuff thus willing to get down...It takes one shameless asshole to break the ice for the rest of the people to feel its ok to act enthused/dance and embarrass themselves ....If that doesn't work just get on the mic and tell them how boring they are.At that point you may as well Andy Kaufman your way into their hearts.

man, all your gig talk just makes me wanna make some material and go out street performing.

edit: i'm bad at engrlish

Last edited by fuxter (Feb 7, 2012 10:10 pm)

Godzilladelph
ant1 wrote:

maybe don't play shows
you have to be entertaining if you want to be an entertainer.

I heart u ant1, but seriously FUCK that shit. PLAY IT LOUD. Who gives a damn if your music isn't "pleasurable" to some club wankers?

Sweden
SKGB wrote:

Who gives a damn if your music isn't "pleasurable" to some club wankers?

The thread starter, obviously!