Westfield, NJ

It doesn't hurt to have a library of music that you can tailor to different crowds. Like, if I were going to play a show for a lot of pop or dance music lovers that aren't familiar with chip music, I might make some covers of popular songs. If I were going to play a show for real hardcore or grunge fans, I might play a lot of dubstep. The more songs I write, the more I think I could handle different styles. I know it's the wrong argument: tailor your setlist to the audience, rather than presenting your "very best," but you can't argue with the fact that sometimes a good way to get people in the right mood is to play something they like.

Montclair, NJ

Sometimes I like to reel em in with some smooth stuff that they can relate to and theyre all like "Oh well this is surprisingly OK, I think ill hold hands with my girlfriend and we'll like, square dance or whatever the fuck", but then i SHIT ALL OVER THEIR FACES (Metaphorically)!!

Vancouver, Canada

A few years ago my industrial band got billed with a few punk bands (mostly because one of the bands asked us to help run the show and provide audio/lighting gear, so we ended up on the bill too)...  It wasn't a great experience, and my singer almost got in a fight with a couple kids (which was actually hilarious and I was kind of hoping it would happen because they were assholes).   Uh, that said, we put on a pretty wicked performance for those who actually appreciated our stuff, cuz we were so pissed at all the little assholes giving us a hard time for not being punk enough.   Yeah, that said, I'm not a fan of mixing up the scenes too much.   We fit in pretty well with metal acts because we had a guitarist and we played some pretty heavy industrial, so that always worked out well.  Chip stuff COULD work with a punk scene but it just kind of depends if you're writing a lot of "bleepy" oontz-y stuff or if it's more of a hardcore/thrash-y style....  Just gotta gauge the compatibility yourself to see how you think it would work out....

D D D Detroit, not the burbs
A Versus B wrote:

Sometimes I like to reel em in with some smooth stuff that they can relate to and theyre all like "Oh well this is surprisingly OK, I think ill hold hands with my girlfriend and we'll like, square dance or whatever the fuck", but then i SHIT ALL OVER THEIR FACES (Metaphorically)!!

almost a GG allin reference.

Chicago
A Versus B wrote:

Sometimes I like to reel em in with some smooth stuff that i SHIT ALL OVER THEIR FACES (Metaphorically)!!

this should not be a metaphor, but in fact a reality.

D D D Detroit, not the burbs
theghostservant wrote:
A Versus B wrote:

Sometimes I like to reel em in with some smooth stuff that i SHIT ALL OVER THEIR FACES (Metaphorically)!!

This happened...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GG_Allin

Milwaukee, WI

Yeah man, it doesn't matter as long as you're good looking.  You  can play to a auditorium full of highschoolers, and if you're hot it's fine.  See:

Last edited by Theta_Frost (Feb 8, 2012 2:54 am)

Godzilladelph
boomlinde wrote:
SKGB wrote:

Who gives a damn if your music isn't "pleasurable" to some club wankers?

The thread starter, obviously!

Ok, i get that, I guess what i'm just a bit jaded about how much chipmusicians as a whole (IMO) are worried about people liking their music. It's chipmusic. It's inherently strange. Just do what you do and have fun doing it would be my advice.

Montclair, NJ

@ Theta: You didnt even take any clothes off dude, the crowd went wild at my high school Battle Of The Bands because I ended up in just boxers (To my surprise, I was kinda hoping they would try and kick me off stage).

St. Louis

For real man, just kill it every time. If they don't like it, fuck em.

A Versus B wrote:

I ended up in just boxers (To my surprise, I was kinda hoping they would try and kick me off stage).

I was taken away in handcuffs by the school police officer when I did this in high school... Evidently they haven't had one since (this was back in 2003)

haha, heard about that ^

Montclair, NJ

I guess because there were no cops present, and everybody that didnt approve of my set was grossly outnumbered by the people who were really diggin' it. Maybe that's why I got away wit it hmm

vancouver, canada
Theta_Frost wrote:

Yeah man, it doesn't matter as long as you're good looking.  You  can play to a auditorium full of highschoolers, and if you're hot it's fine.  See:

"I'M SINGLE" best way to end a live performance

Yuma, AZ

Loving that video. lol. Classic.
Anyone in the AZ Area wanna come by a show next week? 16/17th.

Chicago
DJCactus wrote:
theghostservant wrote:

This happened...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GG_Allin

ctr-f: defecate. found it.
eeewwwwwwwwwwwwww

A Versus B wrote:

I guess because there were no cops present, and everybody that didnt approve of my set was grossly outnumbered by the people who were really diggin' it. Maybe that's why I got away wit it hmm

MISSOURI!!!!  not as \0/open\0/ as Jersey