Sydney, NSW

I recently downloaded this samplepack, and I want to convert them all to raw audio files to play around with on ProTracker.
I thought I could use Audacity, but that would take me forever.

Can anybody direct me to a good script/program to batch convert WAV files to 10025kHz signed/unsigned 8bit PCM raw audio? (Linux or Windows). Google just gives me those shifty "FREE AUDIO CONVERT 4 U!!!" results which don't give me the control I want.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Chainsaw Police (Feb 9, 2012 12:06 am)

Unsubscribe

SoX
http://sox.sourceforge.net/

uhajdafdfdfa

SoX yes
read tha manual and then write a batch file

10025kHz doesn't seem like the right sample rate for protracker ;3
i think you want 8363 Hz

Last edited by ant1 (Feb 9, 2012 11:36 am)

New York City
ant1 wrote:

i think you want 8363 Hz

That's not right.
Sample rate depends on what sort of thing you are sampling. 8636 is really low and sounds like shitty Sega Genesis sample rate standards. You can have basically almost any sample rate as long as you have enough memory to load it, but as I said, you should optimize it depending on the sampled note. 10025 COULD be OK.

I am afraid a batch convert will lead only to wrong results, but you go ahead and try it. Not even converting manually I manged to get great results, I usually just resample with my sample.

If you want an easy way to save a bunch of samples in the adequate format, load them into a Fast Tracker 2 and save as MOD. No more than 1F (30) samples, though.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Feb 9, 2012 11:58 am)

uhajdafdfdfa

well i always used 8363

i assumed the notes played out of tune if you didnt use 8363 or twice that

New York City

That could only work if you are loading in a C, if my math is not too off. But it is widely accepted that sampling rates should vary according to what you are sampling, depending on the note and the timbre of the sampled source.

Sample tuning has always been a nightmare in the AMiga with all those samplepacks hmm

New York City

I consulted a little book that I have thanks to CDK, he thought it was funny but it is actually really useful for things like this!
It has a table of what values to use depending on the note.
8363Hz is a C-2

Last edited by akira^8GB (Feb 9, 2012 12:23 pm)

Sweeeeeeden

Guys, I think you meant to say 11025, not 10025!

São Paulo, Brazil

I use goldwave for batch converting and 11726hz as samplerate.

Sweeeeeeden

PULSELOOPER: What do you use 11726 Hz for?

São Paulo, Brazil
nitro2k01 wrote:

Sorry, typed it wrong. I meant 16726.

New York City
PULSELOOPER wrote:
nitro2k01 wrote:

Sorry, typed it wrong. I meant 16726.

That's better quality C-2.
It's good as long as you have enough Chip RAM to load it in. It is surely a good standard, betetr than crummy 8363Hz

The book I have suggests these rates:

Tuned instruments: 16726Hz
Vocals: 22372Hz
Single drumn sounds: 22372Hz
Drum loops: 22372Hz
Triangle and extreme high pitches: 28185Hz
Bass notes: 16726Hz

It says the "scientific method" to get the proper values is calculating the Nyquist Rate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist_rate (in brief: twice the frequency of the source's highest pitch)

Last edited by akira^8GB (Feb 9, 2012 10:40 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

It should also be noted that Amigacore ignores anything mentioned in this thread.

Assuming you want to go down that long and disturbing road that is.

Sydney, NSW
ant1 wrote:

i think you want 8363 Hz

nitro2k01 wrote:

Guys, I think you meant to say 11025, not 10025!

I thought that too, but I actually found an older thread here on CM in which Akira used 10025kHz as an example - it worked perfectly for me! (although with my amigacore stuff I opt for the most crunchy glitchiest file formats tongue)

Thanks ant, I'm trying out SoX now.

Last edited by Chainsaw Police (Feb 10, 2012 9:57 am)

São Paulo, Brazil
RG wrote:

It should also be noted that Amigacore ignores anything mentioned in this thread.

Assuming you want to go down that long and disturbing road that is.

I pretty much doubt you get those kick drum sounds with bad downsampling... but I believe you use a real sampler smile

Audacity can do this work but I never tried that.
Maybe this link could help you to figure it out:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde … 843AA4Y2yg
Btw, recently I convert batches of shn files to wav with this method: http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/ti … erter.html
I want to know what's the effect if I do this conversion. I just want to get the original audio but be afraid of lossing audio quality after conversion.