Savannah, Georgia

bah, i just throw the .wav in FLS and work the magic with the plugins there. works fine for me.
(of course, that'll set you back about $50-200)

Fargo
an0va wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

Protools is awful.  Proprietary madness and an extremely convoluted workflow.  But along with 5 other programs (which are just as good or better), it'll get the job done if you know what you're doing.

THANK YOU

*shrug*  I like it.  I've had a lot of training with it and feel it's capable of a lot most other programs aren't.  What you call convoluted, I call efficient.  And the proprietary madness has gotten better since Avid took over.

Godzilladelph
Krubbz wrote:
an0va wrote:

THANK YOU

*shrug*  I like it.  I've had a lot of training with it and feel it's capable of a lot most other programs aren't.  What you call convoluted, I call efficient.  And the proprietary madness has gotten better since Avid took over.

Trust me, once you learn ableton, or even logic (but that's a fucking mess as well in a different way) you will realize how much protools slows down your workflow. That being said, working with whatever tool you're most proficient at is def the best way too go.

In regards to good eq work, I figure i'll just mention 2 things: mix down with your ear, not your eyes (don't rely too heavily on peak indicators and visual eqs) AND listen to your mixes on as many varied types of speakers as possible (from tinny shits like earbuds to car subs).

Last edited by SKGB (Feb 17, 2012 3:20 pm)

Fargo
SKGB wrote:

Trust me, once you learn ableton, or even logic (but that's a fucking mess as well in a different way) you will realize how much protools slows down your workflow.

I did take a class in Logic, which is much better for electronic music and MIDI.  I still liked Pro Tools better for audio.  I will give Ableton a try (assuming Ableton lite is any indication of what the full program is).  I won't deny that sometimes Pro Tools is frustrating.  I have just used it much more extensively and have seen it at work in a larger scale studio format.