Yuma, AZ

So one of my EMS carts had a resistor fall off (out?). In trying to put it back together it occurred to me I'd like to see a schematic of this thing.
Is there one out there? Anyone have a copy of a schematic?

Thanks guys

matt's mind

there isn't one out there.  its not an open design at all...

which resistor?  i'll take a look and read the code off another if they're marked...

Yuma, AZ

If you open the cart up, it looks like it came off the top left corner. I'm sorry if that isn't very specific, hardware isn't my strong suit. lol

Yuma, AZ

When I get home from work I can check with more detail

matt's mind

ok, cool.

the PCB may be marked (R1, R2, etc).  if its marked thats the info i need, i'll look though but prolly won't respond until you double check.  just to make sure no one is confused.  it could even be a capacitor (similarly sized packages, almost identical), but that probably wouldn't make your cart stop working outright if its a smaller resistor-sized one (more than likely a decoupling cap).

yeah, just let us know, i (or someone) will take a look and let you know the value if the part is marked. 

there is the chance you've had memory loss, if the battery power is disrupted.  the bleepbloop cart's R1 snaps off a lot when people open the case, this will cause memory loss on that device.  the case slides right over it, unless you know to look for it you'll take it right off...  hopefully the EMS cart doesn't do the same.  (this is the first i've heard of an EMS having one pop off)

Sweeeeeeden

Picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gameboygen … otostream/

From that, can you tell which component has come loose?

England

A while back I opened up an EMS 64MB cart and the electrolytic cap fell straight out. I would not open another one up now.

Savannah, Georgia
nitro2k01 wrote:

Picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gameboygen … otostream/

From that, can you tell which component has come loose?

judging by him saying 'top-left corner resistor', i'd guess it's that 47µF capacitor up top, not a resistor

Last edited by Aeros (Feb 22, 2012 8:55 pm)

Yuma, AZ

@Nitro2k01 It's the black cylindrical thing in the top left.
Sorry I'm not part savvy, haha

Savannah, Georgia

yup, it's the capacitor. kitsch, if you know the specs for it i'm sure he could just grab a pack from radioshack and solder it back on

Yuma, AZ

yussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

matt's mind

based on the pic (not home, i'll double check though), the specs are:

47uF, get one rated for 10V or 6V if you find one.

47uF is the important bit, just make sure the cap is rated for 6V or higher...  but yeah, thats the value you need. 

the type of capacitor is aluminum electrolytic, 47uF, 6V or higher.  the only unknown variable is the size, take the one that fell off into radioshack with you for a size comparison.  some are shorter/fatter, others are made thinner/longer

*** this type of capacitor has a + and a - leg.  check the PCB and it should be marked, the plastic insulating material on the capacitor will be marked which leg is which, like a battery sort of.

San Diego

From the looks of it in the pic that's a 10V cap.

Yuma, AZ

Thank you for you help Kitsch! Got it working again.
You guys rock.