uhajdafdfdfa

If I set the parameter to 2 and 4, does this mean that the second note is 2 semitones higher and the third note is 4 semitones higher? I can't really tell because im a bit tone deaf and its too fast...

that is indeed how the arpeggio effect works

rochester, ny
ant1 wrote:

If I set the parameter to 2 and 4, does this mean that the second note is 2 semitones higher and the third note is 4 semitones higher? I can't really tell because im a bit tone deaf and its too fast...

that is indeed how the arpeggio effect works

you could slow the tempo and speed down and probably hear that better.

New York City
Alister wrote:

okay i lie, i took longer than 30 minutes, but thats beside the point

No, it isn't besides the point.
Do you really expect to get any sort of results after 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week, 1 MONTH of messing around with something you previously had no idea of????

And if you are tone deaf, what else can I fucking say?

FlashHeart

http://www.rtqe.net/ObliqueStrategies/

A gray world of dread

This stickied thread here provides some good answers and resources:
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/3988/ … hip-music/

A stickied thread is usually stickied at the top of a forum because the moderators deemed it to be useful. You'll still have to read it, though.

Most of the software mentioned therein has tutorials, sometimes even in the form of a video-tutorial. There's a website called "youtube" you can search for keywords, like "famitracker tutorial", for example. Like so:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q … arch_type=

If you can't find what you are looking for there, a multitude of search-engines (websites which index other websites by keyword and order them by popularity and relevance) is available which you can use. The most popular one is called "Google". Here's an exemplary link:
http://www.google.de/search?q=milkytracker+tutorial

Finally, this forum also provides a search function (located in the upper right-hand corner) which may be used for a keyword based search. There's a wealth of information on just anything about chipmusic to be found. Internet forums serve also as a repository of knowledge, aside from their social function.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask. Just remember to make use of the aforementioned services too, and do not be discouraged should the results not match your expectations on the first try; as a musician, I am sure you're familiar with the process and reward of refining results.

Good luck and have fun!

Savannah, Georgia

*sigh* well, here we go. might as well spew out my version of what pr1mate said.

i'm going to set you on solid ground here and now. trackers (which are chiptune programs with interfaces, bluntly put, resembling Famitracker) and other DAWs (which stands for Digital Audio Workstations, by the way) will take a while to learn, but honestly everything really depends on what you're willing to use and what you're willing to lose. some of us spend thousands of <your native country's monetary units> and hours working.

first of all, trackers are very logical and very mathematical. you won't get away with using right brain and right brain alone when you're making chiptunes, so no matter what, you've got to put some real, logical thought into it while you're working. and if you're really ready to get into this, then get ready for some long hours slaving over a computer program, because chipmusic isn't good at being spontaneous. it WILL require you to be patient and it WILL require you to piece every last note of what you make together, unlike with guitars and instruments you can just pick up and play; you'll be hard-pressed to just pick up a gameboy, NES, etc. and play it. ...wait, what?

let's just show you your entry-level options, at the least for learning how to work a tracker system:

famitracker - A.K.A. 'the easy route'. famitracker is pretty much the jack-of-all-trades beginner's tool for chipmusic. its native console is the nintendo entertainment system. it's quick, it's easy and it can provide a wide range of results. although everyone's pointing you to famitracker, i honestly don't reccommend it. it's not really a tool that's easy for people to naturally comprehend and learn quickly with. here's a rule of thumb: if you don't/didn't make high marks in math, you may want to try using something else.

sunvox - although sunvox isn't actually a real CHIPTUNE-PRODUCING system, it is a tracker, and if you just read up a little bit on it, it's deceptively easy to use and a good choice for beginners just figuring out how to work the system. it's my personal favorite for learning how to work with a tracker/chiptune DAW, and it's how i got to the skill level i did. you may or may not thank me later.

LSDJ (emulated) - i'm about to get killed for trying to throw a newbie into this headfirst, aren't i? LSDJ is the "industry standard" of chiptunes. it's generally run on a Gameboy, and with that, let me just warn you now that this isn't the best choice for beginners. LSDJ is hard to navigate with the few controls that are available to it, it'll be even harder to navigate using an emulator, the full version actually costs money (oh no, oh no, i might have to pay two dollars), and the Gameboy's hardware can cause severe limitation. but my god, once you learn how to spam BRK-i mean, effectively work LSDJ's complex system, you will get better fast. i'd still only take this option if you have the balls of a rhino, a lot of extra free time, some real determination and a metric f-ton of ritalin.

seriously, weigh your options if you really want to get into this. if you have any questions in the means of beginner tracking, feel free to PM me and i'll see what i can do to help you out.

Last edited by Aeros (Mar 1, 2012 11:36 pm)

NYC

if you know how to use this site cant you look a tutorial instead of wasting other peoples time by posting something or are we all getting that lazy.

FWIW YouTube vid tutorials are much better learning source IMO than a blanket search...except for MilkyTracker. fuck those video tutorials big time. "hey I'm going to make a video tutorial and use keyboard shortcuts with no sound or text telling wtf I just did"

Also the famitracker forums are very helpful too for questions about (obviously) famitracker specifics and I don't think they bark as loudly

Savannah, Georgia

youtube tutorials are often pretty crappy. people need to learn to RTFM instead

rochester, ny

if you decide to do lsdj, check out lsdjguides. that channel is the perfect resource for someone starting out.

Tokyo, Japan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracker_(music_software)

Godzilladelph

New York City

I guess if the world wide web, youtube and internet tutorials existed in 1993 when I started, we wouldn't have any sort of cool chipmusic to hear nowadays.

By the way, the original poster has disappeared. Chances are he has foundeth the holy chiptune and is now famous like Anamanaguchi (wait, who are those again?)

Melbourne, Australia

hi i just want to jump on the bandwagon and

Sweden

first of all, trackers are very logical and very mathematical.

here's a rule of thumb: if you don't/didn't make high marks in math, you may want to try using something else.

lol
The heavy math involved in tracking includes COUNTING and ADDITION. I really don't see what's "mathematical" about trackers besides what you need to be able to compose or improvise in general.

New York City
boomlinde wrote:

first of all, trackers are very logical and very mathematical.

here's a rule of thumb: if you don't/didn't make high marks in math, you may want to try using something else.

lol
The heavy math involved in tracking includes COUNTING and ADDITION. I really don't see what's "mathematical" about trackers besides what you need to be able to compose or improvise in general.

Here's the only thing you need to make cheapchoon: