The Rubber Man

OK, so finally I bought all the ZXpand setup for ZX81 (and also for American NTSC equivalent: Timex 1000!!).
http://youtu.be/FQjIO_K0QUM

32Kb or RAM, SD-card instant loading/saving plus additional AY-interface (well, the Japanese YM version, to be exact) in standard of classic ZX81's ZonX AY-interface from 80s.

There is also a ZX81's version of chipmusic SoundTracker.

I got the hardware from RWAP Software http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk/zx812.html
Yes. It worx. smile

Last edited by YERZMYEY (Mar 1, 2012 9:30 pm)

New York City

How does this compare with divIDE, Yerz?

The Rubber Man

Ooo, Akira, nice to hear (see) from You. wink

- ZXpand and divIDE are made for totally different computers. divIDE doesn't indeed add any memory to Spectrum, because most used models are 48K and 128K (or more sometimes).
- ZXpand is for ZX81 - a hardcore oldschool black/white computer with low-res only (however it's possible to obtain monochrome hi-res, for a batter programmist wink ). ZX81 has ONLY 1Kb or RAM! wink So the ZXpand has also additional memory on-board to add to the ZX81. Hence 32Kb (really enough).
- in standard way divIDE can't save. It could from the technical point of view but FatWare can't. ZXpand on the other hand - can easily load and save traditional ZX81 files used on emulators: *.P files.
- divIDE works with CF cards. ZXpand works with SD cards.

So - they're different devices for different computers (computers from the same company: Sinclair).
ZX81 and Spectrum are like... Commodore Vic-20 and Commodore 64. More/less. wink
But ZX81 is faaaaaaar more oldschool, so I even wonder - maybe I could try to play concerts from ZX81 sometimes, not from Spectrum, heheh.

Last edited by YERZMYEY (Mar 2, 2012 8:40 am)

New York City

Yeah it's been a while since we last talked big_smile

Oh, I thought it was good for all ZX computers, not just the ZX81. Everything explained now, thanks.
I didn't know divIDE didn't save. That's kinda shit. I don't have a Spectrum anymore anyway, ut at some point, who knows, maybe I want it back big_smile

I used to have one of these too (Timex 1000) with a !!16KB!!! expansion, but I never used it tongue

Thanks for the data! big_smile

Last edited by akira^8GB (Mar 2, 2012 9:58 am)

The Rubber Man

Akira:

> Oh, I thought it was good for all ZX computers, not just the ZX81. Everything explained now, thanks. I didn't know divIDE didn't save. That's kinda shit.
--------------
Big shit even.
However it's not exactly the divIDE that doesn't save. That's the most popular firmware, which is FatWare selector.
You can re-flash divIDE, if You "know things" into another system, but all others that save - they're some txt systems like DOS, like in 19 century or so. wink

> I don't have a Spectrum anymore anyway, ut at some point, who knows, maybe I want it back big_smile
------------
YES, do it. wink

> I used to have one of these too (Timex 1000) with a !!16KB!!! expansion, but I never used it tongue
-----------
So now You can get one again, from some ebay and have chiptune sound from ZXpand combo. wink

> Thanks for the data! big_smile
----------
Any time.
Y

New York City

Nah, I am not interested in collecting junk anymore (even though I managed to get 2 more Amigas into my new house already xD). I sold all my stuff. And I *never* used my +3, which was kinda sad, but dealing with disk drives and shit is something I don't like to do anymore, so since I couldn't buy a divIDE, I just didn't use it at all. Loading from the tape connector was a pain that ended up in never being able to load anything properly with TAP2WAV or something like that (always ended in error). So, there.

Maybe, just maybe, at some point, I get a +3 back, They are pretty common here in the UK. But I'd NEVER use a ZX81 with that stupid keyboard. I don't even like the original 48K (sorry tongue). I need a real keyboard to work with big_smile

Last edited by akira^8GB (Mar 2, 2012 11:26 am)

The Rubber Man

Yuck!

The keyboard is all the charm!

Hahaha, OK. wink