México, DF.
4mat wrote:

wouldn't a vst and sequencer be far less hassle to acquire and get working?

Then you're missing the whole point of this scene my friend.

IL, US
eme7h wrote:
4mat wrote:

quoted for wtf

Abandoned on Fire

...where'd i leave that "most interesting man" meme...

Holland

Haha this thread gets even nicer.

New York City
eme7h wrote:
4mat wrote:

In this thread, someone insults Bit Shifter, then someone else tells 4mat he missed the point of chipmusic.

Golden.

BOSTON

the noobs are getting feral in here! where are these noob-beasts coming from?

Toronto Area, Canada

Clearly there's some dirty little trolls running around in here... I can smell them... Yummy.

Sweden
Aeros wrote:

and of course the rule-of-thumb i mentioned is ridiculed and taken completely the wrong way.

i love you guys

I don't know, the parts I quoted seemed pretty clear to me. If you don't  think that trackers are very mathematical, saying that they are is a pretty clumsy way of expressing it.

eme7h wrote:
4mat wrote:

I'm talking from a purely logistical POV, you're suggesting the guy buys X amount of hardware, some of which requires assembly, just to see if he likes writing chipmusic?    as opposed to giving him a far easier point of entry he can start from which has all the aesthetics of the medium.  that is the real point of the scene: the aesthetics.  It's nothing to do with hardware or software and absoluitely nothing to do with jumping about holding a gameboy in front of some flashing backdrops.

Washington DC
4mat wrote:
eme7h wrote:

I'm talking from a purely logistical POV, you're suggesting the guy buys X amount of hardware, some of which requires assembly, just to see if he likes writing chipmusic?    as opposed to giving him a far easier point of entry he can start from which has all the aesthetics of the medium.  that is the real point of the scene: the aesthetics.  It's nothing to do with hardware or software and absoluitely nothing to do with jumping about holding a gameboy in front of some flashing backdrops.

A+++

Vst's are a great gateway drug into more complicated (and expensive) stuff like hardware.

I started by using fl studio and the magical8bit plugin and then transitioned into using an actual gameboy once I had figured out how comfortable I was with those sounds. I feel like things worked out pretty well.

Last edited by Dauragon (Mar 3, 2012 2:53 pm)

BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

has anyone ever noticed that the word "noobs", is really similar to the word "boobs"??

Gosford, Australia

brb fapping to boob beasts

Savannah, Georgia
electricloverecords wrote:
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

has anyone ever noticed that the word "noobs", is really similar to the word "boobs"??

as if the thread isn't derailed enough, you come out of nowhere saying that.

heeeeeere we go

Sweden

Gosford, Australia

REPORT ANd DONT REPLY!

Aeros wrote:
electricloverecords wrote:

as if the thread isn't derailed enough, you come out of nowhere saying that.

heeeeeere we go

sorry.  i think the best way to get into chip music is with a free tracker.  that way, you can get free sounds and you can look at how songs are built.  figuring out song structure from scratch can be very difficult.  you can also see what wav forms look like and how different fx effect them.