New York City
herr_prof wrote:

Hey Akira - Maybe you should post your test project and we can test the sequencing on a real aboy and see if it has the same problems.

Great idea.
Please, someone with an arduinoBoy test this:

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 28, 2013 7:22 pm)

the heart of a mountain

Glad to see there's some movement on this...I've tried 2 more machines (another xp sp3 and a vista machine) and I can't get nlmidi.exe to change the things to -SYNC or -sync or anything...the adaptors are showing up as usb audio devices in reaper though. I need to get them into sync mode to see if they work to sync nanoloop..the main purpose they're designed for and the main reason I bought 3 of em..I'm getting fed up, 2 emails and some twitter messages have ellicited no direct response from oliver...it's not like I'm not an established customer either I've bought 3 carts in the past....not happy.

/vent

Los Angeles

As far as mGB is concerned there are a few things to consider...

1. Do not draw lines or slopes in Ableton or other programs. At least in Ableton, CCs of the same value will be sent a million times over, flooding MIDI to mGB. Use the pencel tool instead or make a max4live MIDI effect to filter CCs. Example:

bad.

good.

In Ableton use shortcut command CMD+B (OSX) or CTRL+B (Windows) to toggle drawing modes to pencel tool.

2. If you are still experiancing issues, disable the screen. Select+A ... This will improve performance on a DMG, and sound quality.

3. Fresh Batteries. Low batteries will cause performance issues as well.

4. Profit.

You can also not use a DMG, a GBC, SP etc will process data 2x fast. Mind you the serial port on the gameboy was not meant to handle data coming in at this speed. It is all a bit of a hack, there is a buffer to help data not to be missed, but it is possible if you flood mGB with alot of data.

Last edited by Trash80 (Mar 6, 2012 6:25 pm)

New York City

Hey Tim,

trash80 wrote:

1. Do not draw lines or slopes in Ableton or other programs. At least in Ableton, CCs of the same value will be sent a million times over, flooding MIDI to mGB. Use the pencel tool instead or make a max4live MIDI effect to filter CCs. Example:

bad.

How to achieve pitch bending then? This is the only way it works.

Los Angeles
akira^8GB wrote:

No it's not, my example there is a pitchbend, hit cmd+b to switch modes for drawing. or ctrl+b on windows. though your example worked fine on my arduinoboy.

Los Angeles
akira^8GB wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

Hey Akira - Maybe you should post your test project and we can test the sequencing on a real aboy and see if it has the same problems.

Great idea.
Please, someone with an arduinoBoy test this:
http://kikencorp.com/temp/mgb_test01.zip

On arduinoboy. Tested part with screen on and off too.

New York City
trash80 wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

No it's not, my example there is a pitchbend, hit cmd+b to switch modes for drawing. or ctrl+b on windows. though your example worked fine on my arduinoboy.

No, I mean, I know how to use the Ctrl+B method, but when I used it, it didn't progressively bend from one note to the other, it just jumped.

I saw the video, this demonstrates arduinoboy works fine, as I expected. Thanks for that.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Mar 6, 2012 6:30 pm)

Los Angeles

Also note the most CPU intensive bit on mGB is processing pitchbend data, because it is relative and the position needs to be converted from a 14bit number to a relative frequency. I need to redo that math a bit on mGB I'm sure it can be optimized. Again, not using slopes will help greatly.

Los Angeles
akira^8GB wrote:

I saw the video, this demonstrates arduinoboy works fine, as I expected. Thanks for that.

Oh nice, so the problem isnt with mGB?
Yeah, it takes a bit of editing to make slow pitch bends sound right, I have a max4live effect I use to help filter data. Maybe I should publish it here soon.

Los Angeles

I can hear small amounts of fuckup with the pitchbends though, which goes into what I was saying. Ableton sends shit like 45 45 45 45 45 45 45 ... 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 .... 47 47 47 47 47 47 47 47  ... [...] as oppose to just those changed values once. hehe.

New York City
trash80 wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

Oh nice, so the problem isnt with mGB?

Clearly not, if you hear the audio I posted of the same project: http://kikencorp.com/stuff/mGB_test_01_Rendered.mp3 (jump to 0:59 for the fun)
One thing is small fuck ups (I notice it in the noise channel too), and one thing is this tongue
Thanks for these tests and insight on mGB, Tim.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Mar 6, 2012 6:37 pm)

New York City
trash80 wrote:

I can hear small amounts of fuckup with the pitchbends though, which goes into what I was saying. Ableton sends shit like 45 45 45 45 45 45 45 ... 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 .... 47 47 47 47 47 47 47 47  ... [...] as oppose to just those changed values once. hehe.

Does it do this even when you use the pencil? I Mean, if there's a straight line with no changes, does it still send out the same message over and over?

Los Angeles
akira^8GB wrote:

Clearly not, if you hear the audio I posted of the same project: http://kikencorp.com/stuff/mGB_test_01_Rendered.mp3 (jump to 0:59 for the fun)

HAHAHA, its drunk!

Here is a new windows binary:

www.nanoloop.com/midi/nlmidi_03_win.zip

I tested this one with windows XP, too. On win XP (at least on the japanese one I have here for testing), the MIDI port does not appear as "nanoloop MIDI" but just as "USB MIDI port". If there are multiple ports on the system, you have to choose it manually.

You can set the throttling with -midi <value> where <value> should be roughly between 20 and 50. Default is 26.

New York City
trash80 wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

HAHAHA, its drunk!

Drunk on MIDI xD

Thanks for the update OIiver, will test it ASAP.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Mar 6, 2012 6:39 pm)

Los Angeles
akira^8GB wrote:
trash80 wrote:

Does it do this even when you use the pencil? I Mean, if there's a straight line with no changes, does it still send out the same message over and over?

Nope. It's just because you are drawing a floating point line across values of a 7 or 14bit resolution. So rounded down it would take 14.124 14.125 into 14 14. etc.