New York City
trash80 wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

Does it do this even when you use the pencil? I Mean, if there's a straight line with no changes, does it still send out the same message over and over?

Nope. It's just because you are drawing a floating point line across values of a 7 or 14bit resolution. So rounded down it would take 14.124 14.125 into 14 14. etc.

Ah, now that makes perfect sense. Ableton is retarded, then. Shouldn't act that way when sending MIDI.

New York City
oliver wrote:

You can set the throttling with -midi <value> where <value> should be roughly between 20 and 50. Default is 26.

The output was:

C:\Users\Akira\User Applications>nlmidi03 - MIDI 35

nanoloop MIDI opened for input

nanoloop MIDI opened for output

Did it work?

If it didn't say "set to MIDI mode" and hangs instead of returning to the console, it did not work.

the heart of a mountain

Ok, I've managed to set mine to -SYNC...I got the message in command prompt that it had been set permanently...cool......however...

In reaper sending MTC it is better but still not useable...nanoloop moves along in a more regular tempo but unfortunately it isn't the tempo of reaper! In reaper you can set the timecode generator to 5 different frame rates between 24 and 30 and none of them make it play in sync. Suggestions?...do I need to do a delay setting?

the heart of a mountain

scuse the double post I should have said....the first time i tried to do this in the terminal it failed...the first time i did it I cd'd into the directory that nlmidi03 was and then tried the nlmidi03 -SYNC all in one command...it asked me to select a port for output between  #0 usb audio device(the nanoloop dongle) and #1 microsoft gs wavetable synth. I selected 0 and it looped please choose a port dialogue endlessly until I closed the terminal.

The successful time I separated the commands so did, nlmidi03, it then asked me to pick a port, I hit 0
then It showed the dialogue of available commands and then I did -SYNC.

New York City
oliver wrote:

If it didn't say "set to MIDI mode" and hangs instead of returning to the console, it did not work.

Well, that's what it said. So, it didn;t work.

[edit][ tried again, and now it said it was set permanently. Let me try this bad boy.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Mar 6, 2012 8:17 pm)

I tried your test project and could not hear any difference to the Arduinoboy version. Will post the video here when upload is done.

New York City

OK I set it to 36 and 50... The same "drunkedness" is there, nothing changes. Evidently, the adapter is not coping with MIDI as good as Arduinoboy and it is not usable with mGB.

For further reference, I'll repeat what has been posted here.

This is my Ableton project running in mGB:

And this is my Ableton project running with NLMIDI:
http://kikencorp.com/stuff/mGB_test_01_Rendered.mp3

If you tried my project and you heard no difference, could it be that my device is faulty? Because this doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Mar 6, 2012 8:23 pm)

The same project with the adaptor, at the default throttling (26):

Last edited by oliver (Mar 6, 2012 8:43 pm)

New York City
oliver wrote:

The same project with the adaptor, at the default throttling (26):

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ay-B0PCCqp8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've got to sort out what the hell is going on here...
Thanks for all this testing, Oliver.
I will now retreat to my cave and not come out until this thing works.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Mar 6, 2012 8:39 pm)

Your recording sounds like the delay may be coming from the computer's OS. Like if there was some harddsik access that slowed down the system so that USB packets were queued in the range of seconds.

New York City

Could it be because it's under Windows 7?
I just tried the device on a Windows XP machine, of much lower spec, and the son of a bitch worked better!

NLMIDI is the only device connected to the USB port.

Quick Reaper test:

I set "nanoloop MIDI" to "Enable+Clock" in preferences > MIDI devices, inserted a new MIDI item, set it to loop mode and clicked play. I have no other sounds coming out of reaper, but the playback cursor seems in perfect sync with a 4/4 test beat in nanoloop.

This was after a fresh install, I have not touched any other settings for MTC etc.

the heart of a mountain

So Oliver...if my nanoloop is running slower than the MTC...do I need to do something regarding throttling??...To reiterate..it ain't useable as it is!

It is the only midi device connected and the only thing running. EDIT...sorry cross posted you there Oliver...

I'm in bed needing sleep so I'll try this tommorrow but of the top of my head I'd say this is what I am doing apart from my adaptor does not show as nanoloop midi...only "usb Audio device" both in reaper and in the command prompt.

Will try tommorrow and feedback.

Last edited by concretedog (Mar 6, 2012 9:04 pm)

akira^8GB wrote:

Could it be because it's under Windows 7?
I just tried the device on a Windows XP machine, of much lower spec, and the son of a bitch worked better!

I have no idea. I'm willing to test it, but not tonight.

Schedule for tomorrow:

- Test mGB + the adaptor on Vista (don't have Windows 7)
- Test on another OS X machine.
- Further tests with Reaper on different computers

concretedog wrote:

So Oliver...if my nanoloop is running slower than the MTC...do I need to do something regarding throttling??...To reiterate..it ain't useable as it is!

No, throttling is not applied when in SYNC mode.
As I wrote above, in a first test with a freshly downloaded Reaper on OS X, nanoloop was running at the same tempo as Reaper, and, as far as I could see / hear, it was also in sync. Will try on Windows tomorrow.