Florida

...which would it be?

I ask because I make 8.5 dollars an hour and my car sucks, so I could really only risk once a year. I'm in Florida, so for now MAGFest is looking like a really good all-around event that would be worth the trip. Thoughts?

Last edited by Jay Tholen (Mar 14, 2012 3:18 am)

BOSTON

honestly... even at that distance, blip will be worth the trip. 3 days of shows and probably 5 or more satellite shows and afterparties with everybody from everywhere and chipmusic 24 hours a day and everybody there is your friend. its insane and overwhelming, but very movie-like or dream-like, or hallucination-like.

seriously, it's not even a competition. blip.

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Mar 14, 2012 3:36 am)

Melbourne, Australia
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

seriously, it's not even a competition. blip.

buffalo, NY

because both of the people who have replied have actually been to MAGfest big_smile

Blip could be cheaper for you if you do it right, stay with people who let you crash etc.  MAGfest is in an expensive hotel, you gotta find rooms to split with people.  If you're into VGbands, it's fucking fantastic.  Chip stuff is awesome there, but not a main focus.

BOSTON

it's true, I haven't been to mag. my "it's not even a competition" comment wasn't directed at mag though...

it was directed at everything that exists in this universe

Hudson, MA
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

it's true, I haven't been to mag. my "it's not even a competition" comment wasn't directed at mag though...

AW SNAP.

I'd say both, but I'm defaulting to blip because it's coming up sooner.  If you need to save up for a while and can't afford the trip to blip (edit:  or you want to see awesome bands, play awesome games and have a shot at drinking with the voice of Duke Nukem like you were at Blip,) go to MAGFest.  If you land into enough money to afford both, consider changing your title to Little Ortega Girl and go to both.

Last edited by Glenntai (Mar 14, 2012 6:21 am)

buffalo, NY
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

sick save bro heart

blip tokyo got hip tanaka, magfest got nobuo uematsu.  Even though across my various bands I'm pretty sure I play most of Hip Tanaka's catalog, I gotta go with Uematsu. 

"3 channo, very difficul" - Uematsu when I asked him about composing for the NES.

Last edited by danimal cannon (Mar 14, 2012 6:23 am)

Philly, PA, USA

I think it probably depends on your thing, Blip is a chip music festival, MAG from what I understand is primarily games. Most of the reason I haven't gone to MAG is because i really don't have much interest in going to a gaming festival, whereas blip is all music, and also just mostly people that I want to see, and as people go, most of the people I would see at MAG I would also see at Blip, but the converse is not necessarily true.

rochester, ny

as someone who's been to both, if you're into chip music, then blip fest wins. if you're into gaming and vgm music, magfest wins.

but magfest had some incredible chip music this year too. so, yeah, both are pretty incredible.

England

Get several credit cards and put yourself in serious dept attending shows all over the world.

England

Either that or rely on Jah to provide smile

Tokyo, Japan

Magfest and blip seem awesome but very different events. I have been to a few blips but much to my shame not a single magfest....

Blip is pretty focused on chipmusic, you could go a whole day at blip without hearing a single VGM cover, there might be chip music centric workshops but no LANs/gamingrooms, famous game people. Magfest seems to cast a much wider net, looks like they have famous game people speaking, games, LANs and a heavy emphasis on video game music. Also I think Magfest is a bit bigger?

Both sound like awesome events, I guess it comes down to what you are into.

BOSTON

actually (being reasonable for a change), one thing you might want to consider is that since you are a game designer / composer, you would certainly make way more game connections at mag than blip. I have heard that it is a much more interactive and "personal" crowd there then even, say, PAX (Dan would probably be th expert opinion on that)

anyway, save some cash and GTFO of Florida wink

Unsubscribe

Love to magfest, but stop booking them in the winter on my birthday please.

rochester, ny
Lazerbeat wrote:

Also I think Magfest is a bit bigger?

yeah way bigger.

Florida

Looks like MAGFest is the winner. Blip sounds incredible, but I'm going to know wayyyy more folks over at MAG. Plus, I have more time to save up. Thanks guys. smile