Seattle, Wa

Hi, I've picked up a DMG off ebay as my hands have outgrown my pocket since it was new. When it arrived despite being listed as "working fine" it has 2 horizontal lines dead and about 10 vertical. UGH I can play tetris on it fine, as long as I don't care to see my score, and that's all I'll be doing on it until I can find a new screen(which I haven't been able to locate without a DMG attached to it.) Anyway, I was taking it apart to try and fix the heat seal on the bottom of the lcd with a hair dryer (no luck) when I noticed one of the springs on the rubber that supports the D pad is torn. kitsch bent sells start and select buttons, but I haven't found springs for the dpad or a b buttons. I've noticed that the plastic buttons from a nes controller will fit in a DMG, is the rubber also identical?

hardcore, Australia

Just buy a new game boy. They aren't expensive.

St. Louis

Pm me your address, I'll mail you the rubber d-pad and a/b button contacts. As for the screen, you can try slowly sweeping the bottom ribbon cable with a soldering iron for the vertical lines, but the horizontal lines usually can't be fixed.

You'd probably just have to buy another dmg, as individual screens aren't available to my knowing.

Fargo

Pugbath said everything I was gonna say.  Horizontal lines are a bitch.  Grab yourself a different grey gameboy off ebay or at your local thrift store.  Those sell pretty cheap.  If you for some reason wanted to use the shell of the gameboy you have, you can always just replace the new front pcb for the old one.

Don't forget to ask the seller to send you pics of the screen working with a game to be sure there is no dead line before you buy it.

Unsubscribe

I have nothing to add, just to say its cute that someones hands outgrew a gameboy.

Seattle, Wa
Pugbath wrote:

Pm me your address, I'll mail you the rubber d-pad and a/b button contacts. As for the screen, you can try slowly sweeping the bottom ribbon cable with a soldering iron for the vertical lines, but the horizontal lines usually can't be fixed.

You'd probably just have to buy another dmg, as individual screens aren't available to my knowing.

Awesome! YGPM

Yeah I read the dmg troubleshooting guide and I don't think I was aggressive enough, so I'll try again with a soldering iron after removing the rubber spacer.

Chicago IL

i thought you couldn't replace a screen cause of the ribbon cables for x/y pixels? that shit is straight up stapled

St. Louis

You actually could replace the screen if you could solder that small, what he's talking about is using heat to remove vertical lines.