Fargo

Hey guys,
For those of you that haven't heard of SoundToys, they make some nice sounding plug-ins.  Crystallizer and EchoBoy are some of my favorites to use.  So, anyway, a lot of times when they release new plug-ins, they give away a plug or a version of it to promote it.  (They did so with Devil Loc before this)  So now they're giving away a plug-in called "Little Radiator" that's supposed to sound like the Altec 1566 mic preamp.  I figured I'd share it here as well.  Click the link below to get yours.

https://www.soundtoys.com/sxsw2012/&rc=363-8037-265

Tacoma, WA

complete BS... I went to the site and you had to be a registered user and have an iLok.com account. I went to see what the iLok.com thing was and apparently it is a way that the website secures its product licenses. You have to have bought the special USB drive already to be able to get the "free" plug-in...

Fargo

iLoks are pretty commonly used for professional plug-ins.  It just assumes you already have one.  I got it pretty easily.  It only wants you to have an account in case you should ever have to reformat your computer or something, the software is bound to your account so you wouldn't have to pay for it again.  Sorry it didn't work for you.  sad

England
Vellain wrote:

You have to have bought the special USB drive already to be able to get the "free" plug-in...

Yep, and you'll need to buy a computer as well. So sorry about that.

BOSTON

ilok sucks. hardware drm sucks. even legit producers i know with big studios that are 100% happy to pay for stuff just buy the licence and then hit up TPB. 

its pathetic that to get usable software now you need to get cracked versions

Fargo
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

ilok sucks. hardware drm sucks. even legit producers i know with big studios that are 100% happy to pay for stuff just buy the licence and then hit up TPB. 

Agreed.  I wish they'd come up with a better solution.  I understand why they do it, but it's incredibly inconvenient.  Imagine if you had some huge session and you forget your iLok.  Sorry, can't use the plug-ins you paid for.  Or imagine if you lost it.  They apparently have some safety against that, but you have to pay for that as well.  People used to steal them from my school all the time too, until they started zip tying them to the computers.  I do it for one reason only: the plug-ins are worth it.  I suppose you're right though.  If you've bought the license, you can't really get in trouble for getting a torrent.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could though for violating a rights agreement or something.

England
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

Really? I find that all the pros use genuine uncracked stuff, absolutely to a man. I wouldn't have any cracks in my studio, and if I ever found myself doing a session and saw "Licensed to H20warez" on the splash screen, then that studio would not be booked again. No-one would touch them once word got out.

Really, pros, especially when running commercial studios, wouldn't dare run stuff they got off a torrent. Not for a second.

And that's before you figure in the misbehaviour that often follows installing a warez0d plugins.

BOSTON

not commercial studios, producers in their own studios.

agreed: i would sure hope that if you are paying good money for studio time, they wouldn't be using cracked software hahaha

Fargo

I've come across a few "producers" (beat makers) who have very blatantly bragged about having a ton of illegal plugs.  They offered to "hook me up".  The whole thing felt like a..."plug" deal.  *drum fill*  Thank you, thank you!  Anyway, it felt shady.  Though I understand the motivation, it does take away from the appeal of working with that person professionally.  The other good thing about having the legit versions is that you can then use them on any computer while cracked files will only work on the computer you installed them on.  But I can see your point, Br1ght Pr1mate.  It could be handy to not have to worry about the whole iLok thing in the comfort of your own home, assuming you bought the rights to the plugs.  That way, your trusty iLok can stay in your travel bag and you won't run the risk of leaving it behind.