Used to do this religiously for a few years. I bet a lot of us here would work wonders with this-let's give it a shot!

http://rpmchallenge.com/index.php?optio … Itemid=290

The real trick though, IMO is starting literally everything on February first. i.e. - no cheating with song ideas you've had sitting around for months. 28 days to create a consistent product. You can do it!!

Last edited by an0va (Jan 13, 2012 6:56 am)

Sydney, NSW

there should be a 100 day challenge to try and complete as many timed challenges as possible.

but nobody will complete it because there are way too many x-amount-of-day challenges floating around.

buffalo, NY

Doing timed competion/challenges regularly got my production chops to amazing levels.  It's a great exercise because like all things, songwriting and recording require PRACTICE.  I had to record 10 shitty songs before I started to get any good at all.

That said, jesus christ an album in a month is WAY to much.  I've had luck with ones that require ONE song in a month (http://www.dwellingofduels.net)

Compared to the 30 songs in 30 days thing, this is nothing! If some people just do straight chip albums that makes the whole mixing/mastering stages small (or negligent)

Also, this thing is once a YEAR-it's always been the month of February yikes

Gosford, Australia

Blip is in February though, and it's gonna be cutting a 5-day hole in the month for a bunch of people.

The idea is cool though! Just... why Feb? :<

Last edited by Victory Road (Jan 13, 2012 7:37 am)

IL, US

ive done the RPM in 2007, 2008, 2010 & 2011, and in three of those years have done what i feel is some of my better work (and those three years were more than strictly chip hardware)... last year, i started a week late too, since i hard a hard time feeling inspired while snowed in by a blizzard...
highly recommend this, even if you have to do what i do and treat it like an 8-hour a day job on weekends so as to not mess with your day job...you can get a lot done with 16-20 hours of concentrated effort on a weekend, then spend the week listening to what you have done so far and making small adjustments after work...its a bit tiring, but worth it smile

Montclair, NJ

I need about to month to force myself to finish one track so, this isnt really for me. Looking forward to see peoples results though.

Madison, Alabama

I'm doing Weekly Beats, but I might give RPM a try.  I also do NaNoWriMo every year.  I like timed challenges.  They often force you to work in a way you don't normally, and take creative paths you might not take otherwise.  Fun stuff.

Fargo

Why did they have to choose the shortest month? tongue

Massachusetts, USA

Thankfully the organizers were generous enough to give us 29 days this year for the challenge.

I've done this the past 3 years, and I usually come up with a few things I like. One cool part of RPM is the listening party in March. Every album submitted is put out on a few tables for people to peruse, then they play a video that makes you think it was important, and then everyone goes to a different venue (at least in Portsmouth, NH) for genre-specific listening parties where they play one song from every album.

I like these timed challenges too, and while I don't always complete them I always consider it a success because even if I only made a few new things... hey, I made a few new things!

Texas

I've totally got to do this.

IL, US

so, who else finished?

Massachusetts, USA

I did! It was my worst one yet!