nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

I wasted my time this morning reading this entire thread instead of pushing boundaries on my Game Boy.

In short: most of the time action (usually in the form of leading by example) is the way to reach new heights.

TSSBAY01

Who's Online

10k Benindetto celsius Crystal Labs Decktonic defiantsystems Dos Dot.AY George godinpants justinthursday kitsch Kris k Lazerbeat moviemovies1 nitro2k01 Pugbath SurfaceDragon tempsoundsolutions Ultrasyd ultraturducken VCMG XyNo µB
51 Guests 24 Members

Melbtown, Lolstralia

anybody that ever feels like they are getting sick of Chipmusic.. do yourself a favour and make your way to your Local Blipfestival (I mean they're everywhere these days)

every single time I see a stack of artists from all over the world doing incredible shit that you don't get from listening to an MP3 on your laptop and all of a sudden I am all .. "HOW GOOD IS CHIPTUNE?"

buffalo, NY
Dot.AY wrote:

anybody that ever feels like they are getting sick of Chipmusic.. do yourself a favour and make your way to your Local Blipfestival (I mean they're everywhere these days)

every single time I see a stack of artists from all over the world doing incredible shit that you don't get from listening to an MP3 on your laptop and all of a sudden I am all .. "HOW GOOD IS CHIPTUNE?"

I can relate to this

hardcore, Australia

George wrote:

My main beef is with chipmusicians covering other chipmusician's tracks.
It seems to be a trend. A very sterile one.
I guess people ran out of mainstream tracks to cover and have to move on to incestuous cocksucking.
The next logical step is to cover each other's covers.
Can't wait.

I seriously LOL'd. I have no problem with covering covers though. I think that makes things a bit more interesting. It's kind of what I'd like to see more of (granted remixers are putting some effort into in and bringing something unique to the table). I covered Adamgetsawesome's Sweet Action and had a lot of fun with it.

Saskrotch wrote:

"Don't just tweak some knobs or use a generic waveform or patch"

This part kind of bugged me. Seems like one of the main points of chip music is that you're limited to certain wave forms, which means you have to be original through composition, not sound design.

I dunno whatever. I'm gonna kill myself eventually anyways. who cares.

I think sound design is what can make compositions unique though. There's so much you can do with the wav channel in LSDJ and Nanoloop, and I feel like most people aren't pushing them enough. Also, TABLES! Tables are key.

Montclair, NJ
Kremland wrote:

And the fact that new comers jump straight to lsdj without even knowing what a tracker is or how chiptune is composed, LEARN YOUR SHIT AND FOCUS ON THE MUSIC INSTEAD OF JUMPING STRAIGHT TO A GAMEBOY BECAUSE IT MAKES YOU LOOK COOL!

I've had friends come to me and ask me where they can get gameboy modz so they can make CHIPCHOONES, without even having any experience with music composition whatsoever.

This is exactly what I did... I think I turned out pretty good...

Last edited by A Versus B (Mar 26, 2012 12:06 am)

A Versus B wrote:
Kremland wrote:

And the fact that new comers jump straight to lsdj without even knowing what a tracker is or how chiptune is composed, LEARN YOUR SHIT AND FOCUS ON THE MUSIC INSTEAD OF JUMPING STRAIGHT TO A GAMEBOY BECAUSE IT MAKES YOU LOOK COOL!

I've had friends come to me and ask me where they can get gameboy modz so they can make CHIPCHOONES, without even having any experience with music composition whatsoever.

This is exactly what I did... I think I turned out pretty good...

More power to ya dude! I didn't start this thread to attack or discourage newcomers.

Cambridge UK

The problem with chipmusic is people who think they know their shit better than others.
I'm one of those cunts.

Melbourne, Australia
George wrote:

The problem with the human race is people who think they know their shit better than others.

Fixed that for you.

Cambridge UK

Well I didn't want to look *that* misanthropic, but thanks Celsius!

Melbourne, Australia

heart

California

It feels like you guys are not having fun any more. sad

remember when Chiptunes was exciting and you would spend endless hours on make-out point and your c64 grunge?

New York City
disassembler wrote:

Also, TABLES! Tables are key.

This is so LSDJ/Game Boy centric that it dynamites your whole original argument which refers to chipmusic in general.

Chipmusic >>>>> Game Boy. Perhaps that is your problem.

Akira, didn't you know that chipmusic was just gameboys? The rest of us are all poseurs.