Chicago

Hello once again fellow chip-tuners, I just received my order for a LTC 1799 Precision Clock Kit from getlofi.com. I'm very excited for this mod, there is only one problem. Where am I going to find the room to mount this sucker?

I was thinking about removing the stock headphone jack board including wires and placing it below the start and select buttons.

I just want to double check with you guys that everything will still be functional if I do this kind of procedure.

Cleveland, OH

Remove the speaker.

Chicago

I would much rather lose the original headphone jack, its not pro sound.
Alternatively I also have a decent amount of space on the right side of the bottom shell.

Here are the 2 layouts I could think of that don't remove the speaker.

#1#

#2#

1: Remove of the stock headphone jack PCB and small plastic molding to hold the PCB in place
2: Dremel bottom shell to make room for knob and switch (Kinda odd placement though...)

If it be mandatory I must remove the speaker it will be done!

Czech republic

Get smaller pot and place it in the top right corner. You have to dremel part of the pcb but there are no traces as far as I know. The smallest pot you can find - some Alps pots fit there nicely. And the LTC board can be anywhere.

Chicago

Thanks for you help and suggestions, I did as justinthursday said.

San Francisco

that is the ugliest piece of shit i have ever seen.

clovis CA

lol

Cleveland, OH

Right on. I was also going to mention that it can be placed on the bottom left.

I believe I pro-sound modded the stock jack here(as there is clearly not room for the audio filter board).
I have also placed it in the very bottom left and just trimmed the audio board a little bit and moved the two caps on the far left.

Last edited by thursdaycustoms (Apr 2, 2012 12:10 pm)

Matthew Joseph Payne

You can cut desolder some components from the upper right of the main board and cut away from both boards in order to put the pitch pot in the upper right corner of the gameboy (where the RCA jacks are in Justin's photo above). NeX did this first, I've repeated his experiment on a gameboy for KeFF. You need to re-home the resistor network that lives there somewhere else in the gameboy. It's very clean looking.

Cleveland, OH
kineticturtle wrote:

You can cut desolder some components from the upper right of the main board and cut away from both boards in order to put the pitch pot in the upper right corner of the gameboy (where the RCA jacks are in Justin's photo above). NeX did this first, I've repeated his experiment on a gameboy for KeFF. You need to re-home the resistor network that lives there somewhere else in the gameboy. It's very clean looking.

The problem with locations other than the speaker is that they are a lot of work. Also on the face of the Game Boy is the best place for one when having the Game Boy just sitting on a table. The top is the most ideal in general in my opinion. I've been having a hard time locating good micro-pots(like the one NeX used for the RGB controller) otherwise I would probably just always do this.
But I like what you've described and have though about doing it this the. The issue is having the pot between both parts of the shell meaning you couldn't tighten it up until it is closed.
My teal and grey boy has a standard pot right now and I've been trying to figure out a spot to put a 10k pot for fine tuning. The top might be perfect for this.

Matthew Joseph Payne

I had no trouble fitting the pot included with the getlofi kit on top - and believe it or not, the pot itself fits juuuuuust barely on one half of the shell. The washer does overlap which can make closing it a little funky, but nothing awful. smile

Cleveland, OH
kineticturtle wrote:

I had no trouble fitting the pot included with the getlofi kit on top - and believe it or not, the pot itself fits juuuuuust barely on one half of the shell. The washer does overlap which can make closing it a little funky, but nothing awful. smile

Ah, got ya. I may have to give that a try then!

Chicago
wedanced wrote:

that is the ugliest piece of shit i have ever seen.

I know, I really need to repaint it... correctly though.