Armidale NSW Australia :D
Saskrotch wrote:
Frostbyte wrote:

It's nothing against you or anyone but your first songs are bad!

square0ne wrote:

XD i dont feel that way but thanks for the feedback big_smile

no he's totally right

You kind of twisted his words there.

square0ne wrote:

So Favorite/Best songs on the EP?

Anyone......

Matthew Joseph Payne

I actually kindof enjoyed that in a weird minimalist way.

None of the "songs" stand out enough to have favorites or bests. The whole thing is 6 minutes long, which is usually 1 or 2 songs in my world.

I guess I just want to say that you seem to have a pretty cool aesthetic sense, and that you should not rush a release - spend some more time with LSDJ and learn more of the intricacies. Even if you're going for a plain, minimalist thing, it's better to know how to do more complex things and choose not to use them.

kineticturtle wrote:

I actually kindof enjoyed that in a weird minimalist way.

None of the "songs" stand out enough to have favorites or bests. The whole thing is 6 minutes long, which is usually 1 or 2 songs in my world.

I guess I just want to say that you seem to have a pretty cool aesthetic sense, and that you should not rush a release - spend some more time with LSDJ and learn more of the intricacies. Even if you're going for a plain, minimalist thing, it's better to know how to do more complex things and choose not to use them.

Thanks for the feedback i just wanted to put something out there to develop my style a little.

Chicago IL
square0ne wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

no he's totally right

nahhhh. he's right.

i mean, you've got to understand that to us,  this is the equivalent of a kid showing some grown ups he's learned the alphabet. like we get that you're excited about it, and that's fine, but for us, the best we can do is pretend we're impressed, which in the long run won't do you any good.

Saskrotch wrote:
square0ne wrote:

nahhhh. he's right.

i mean, you've got to understand that to us,  this is the equivalent of a kid showing some grown ups he's learned the alphabet. like we get that you're excited about it, and that's fine, but for us, the best we can do is pretend we're impressed, which in the long run won't do you any good.

Yeah this is my first few songs its nothing great. but some people like it

Some people will like any release. Some people like my first EP, which in all honesty is complete garbage. The point isn't that we expected more, it's that it's not impressive and nobody besides you really cares about your beginning stages. Here's an example for you:

My First LSDJ song: http://frostbyte1.bandcamp.com/track/xrk
This is really crappy.

Something more recent: https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/D … w=72b72dcb

Which one do you think will give me a better name?

Finland
Frostbyte wrote:

That's still not a long time...In my opinion, the best advice I ever got was to write 100 songs, knowing they will suck. No matter what, your first 100 songs are going to be bad, just because they are. Get past that point, then start releasing. You have a much better time getting known and having a strong rep with good releases as opposed to bad ones.

Malcolm Gladwell wrote a book called Outliers, that states one must spend 10,000 hours on something to be good at it. It might sound really stupid at first but more I've thought about this, more reasonable it sounds. Natural talent helps, but time spent with whatever is really the thing that shows. It's roughly 10 years with couple of hours per day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_(book)

Edit: Of course 100 songs can be 10000 hours.

Last edited by DKSTR (Apr 2, 2012 11:13 pm)

Gosford, Australia
DKSTR wrote:

Malcolm Gladwell wrote a book called Outliers, that states one must spend 10,000 hours on something to be good at it.

[insert masturbation joke]

You've all given me really great advice thank you big_smile

Do you know how to say anything else?

lololololol

Frostbyte wrote:

Do you know how to say anything else?

lololololol

XD Well i enjoyed making it smile but really Frostbyte you've helped big_smile

PH

BeepCore?? lol

Washington / California
DKSTR wrote:

Malcolm Gladwell wrote a book called Outliers, that states one must spend 10,000 hours on something to be good at it.

I haven't read Outliers, but I have read This is your Brain on Music, which takes that concept and changes it to say that You need to spend 10,000 hours on something in order to be considered a master. I think there's a big leap between good, great, and masterful. While it may take 100 songs to be a master, does this mean that we shouldn't show anyone anything before we're a master? If we do this we neglect other elements of being a musician, elements that might be argued as not important for writing music, but for getting that music heard- such as showmanship and self promotion skills.

That being said there are a lot of reasons to make a release, one of them could be to get into a scene, but I think a lot of us would agree that that's not always the best decision. For my first release I forced myself to finish 5 songs because I never finish anything. I wanted those 5 songs to be complete so I could show friends and family what I did, and have something to show promoters if I wanted to book shows. Writing music, though I honor it as an art form, has always been intensely fun for me, and I don't want to ruin that fun by practicing it in secret until I write the perfect album.

Gosford, Australia
TERADAKTYLE wrote:

I haven't read Outliers, but I have read This is your Brain on Music, which takes that concept and changes it to say that You need to spend 10,000 hours on something in order to be considered a master.

does this mean i'm a masterbater? :v

StarKnives wrote:

BeepCore?? lol

lolz