Fargo

I've been goofing around a lot more with the Wave channel thanks, in part, to Roboctopus' tutorials and more and more drawing my own waveforms.  The only thing about it, of course, is that confounded clicking!  With that and with the panning (O) command.  I know that there's not much that can be done about it, but does anyone have any tips on how to work with it so it's not so noticeable?  I work using a DMG-01.  I was watching a tutorial by Danimal Cannon that mentioned the clicking being a "hardware flaw".  So it doesn't click on emulators?  I've never used an emulator for LSDJ.  How many of you record using emulators?  Would you suggest it?  Thanks in advance.  I appreciate you guys.

California

Just try and avoid having the wave play by itself too much. Usually the other channels will cover the clicking up very well. You could also try having the other channels at a higher volume, but then you lose the richness of the bass.

Earth

What I discovered is you can make it less noticeable by making the waveform more gritty. I guess I try to make the speed of the frame change in time with the song as well.

Last edited by breakphase (Apr 7, 2012 6:03 am)

PH

i've tried to record a song on a emulator before... this is it LOL >>http://soundcloud.com/starknives/anata-wa-vs-kono-naifu

Fargo

Good points.  I don't hear them nearly as much as the other channels are playing, though I still can.  But the grittier sound does seem to help.  And I really like the frame speed matching the tempo.  That seems to work pretty well.  I just wish there was a better way to cycle through a waveform faster without it sounding super harsh.
Does anyone know if it pops as bad on other handhelds?

Last edited by Krubbz (Apr 7, 2012 8:43 am)

Madison, Alabama

Yeah, the clicking is kind of a fact of life.  It happens in part because the waveform is divided into 16 distinct frames that are being cycled through; I think part of the click is that you can hear the sound change from one frame to another.

The best advice has been given (that it's less noticeable in the mix and that a harsher sound can help).  But if you want to cycle through the wave faster, have you tried decreasing the length as you increase the speed?  Less frames to step through can equal less instances of click.

Fargo

I've played around with that and it does seem to make it better to decrease the length, but having the depth of the full 16 frames would be so cool.  It's a shame, but I can accept it for what it is.  Skipping through frames like that is a lot like when you make cuts in a recording in a DAW, I'd imagine.  If you put tiny fades on either end of the chopped region, however, it gets rid of the click.  I wonder if there'd be a way to implement into a future update of LSDJ some sort of tiny crossfade between frames.  Maybe not.  I'll admit I have no idea what goes into the software programming or what its limitations are.  It's still a lot of fun to make sounds with, clicks or no clicks.

You can make it a manual wave and it'll just keep playing the one frame if you want...O and E commands are always going to click though. I kinda don't mind it, I like the sound!

Fargo
Frostbyte wrote:

I kinda don't mind it, I like the sound!

Yeah, man!  Maybe that's all I need is a change of attitude.  I'll call it:
Dr. Frostbyte or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Click. 

It happens, but it's part of the character and gets covered up relatively well in a mix.

embrace the clicks!

Gosford, Australia

I read somewhere that the advance SP doesn't click as noticeably. Haven't checked that theory out myself, though.

But yeah, clicks are cool. I just edit out the really obnoxious ones if I need to.

Madison, Alabama
Victory Road wrote:

I read somewhere that the advance SP doesn't click as noticeably. Haven't checked that theory out myself, though.

But yeah, clicks are cool. I just edit out the really obnoxious ones if I need to.

How do you edit out the really obnoxious ones?  Some sort of post production?

doctor frosty lolol

Sounds legit.

Gosford, Australia
roboctopus wrote:

Bingo!

There are a few things you can do in the tracking stage to minimize it e.g. don't use the E command to make a loud instrument soft if it runs a table with a K command in, the click will be at the original instrument volume and not the volume you just set.

Madison, Alabama
Victory Road wrote:
roboctopus wrote:

Bingo!

There are a few things you can do in the tracking stage to minimize it e.g. don't use the E command to make a loud instrument soft if it runs a table with a K command in, the click will be at the original instrument volume and not the volume you just set.

I figured.  Can I ask what sort of post production you use to get rid of severe clicks?