(I don't know if there already is a thread like this. If not i thought it could be interesting)

The current frontpage does not really promote the website in a good way (which should be the case?). Even the music, recent posts or a randomized members page would be better than what's on today. I guess it is just temporary, and maybe the developers have already came up with good ideas. Let's share some anyway?

I am suggesting a music page where every artist gets to choose one or two of their own tracks to be showcased (can be changed by him/her anytime). The tracks would then be randomized in a list similar to the current music list, or a list being a bit more elaborate with some short artist presentation for every record or something. This would promote the community aspect, the better part of the music being online, and would give the website a good and understandable wrapping for new visitors. The tab/page could be named "showcase".

Any other ideas?

Last edited by joule (Feb 8, 2010 4:03 pm)

New York City

You made this suggestion already. There is a thread about it.
http://chipmusic.org/forums/post/6504/#p6504

Last edited by akira^8GB (Feb 8, 2010 4:10 pm)

akira^8GB wrote:

You made this suggestion already. There is a thread about it.
http://chipmusic.org/forums/post/6504/#p6504

No i didn't. And i have not seen many posts about a frontpage, but i'm not following the forum that closely.

Seattle, WA

this is a good idea

Malaga, Spain

I really like the site as it is. All are really clean and the design is just awesome. And the fact that the front page is the index of the forum is one of the things I like the most of this site.

I like to listen to songs but what I need, I'm talking from the most personal opinion, is to learn a lot about making music, mods, production and those kind of stuff as I'm a newbie and I want to learn a lot. I think that is the difference between chipmusic and 8bc. An user can access to 8bc, starting comment songs or whatever and he/she can leave without visiting the forum with no problem, but I see chipmusic more for people who are going to contribute to the site, not only to comment songs. There are two different kind of site for, maybe, two different kind of users.

So, for that, I think the index page is a good front page. You have all the info at the beginning.
I see this site in that way.

OT: I think it's a good practice to search for topics before creating a new thread. That help the site to avoid duplicated info. smile

3nc0d3r, some topics have been discussed inside other ones, as most people don't care about staying on topic. This makes it hard to find stuff sometimes.

Just like you say the frontpage shows what kind of users you want.

Last edited by joule (Feb 9, 2010 6:16 pm)

Miami, FL

Hey, in real life all discussions don't really stay on topic all the time.

Just sayin'

A gray world of dread

Back on topic, if it is planned to feature the latest uploads on the frontpage, I'd really love to see the double column design 8bc used to have, so uploaded tracks are "up" a second time. Ditch view and comment count and upload time to make space, in fact, I'm all for removing view/comment counts anyways. I'd favour a twitter-style news section (TCTD feed? community submitted?) and quick links to active forum topics instead of latest comments on tracks. A tag cloud to quick-search for tracks would also be nice to have.

I had the idea to asign each weekday to a popular chip (ie monday=2a03, tuesday=sid etc.) and spotlight tracks for those systems, but that may be too gimmicky.

Cambridge, MA

I personally like having the forum as a frontpage. It means one less click for me. But maybe a little widget above the "Online Users" that would play a random song from the archive would be nice.

If there has to be a frontpage, a minimal recent posts selection along with any anouncements would be all I want. Direct and to the point.

There's only about 4 people's opinions in here though so its nothing decisive as to how the majority feels about it...

Los Angeles
µB wrote:

Back on topic, if it is planned to feature the latest uploads on the frontpage, I'd really love to see the double column design 8bc used to have, so uploaded tracks are "up" a second time.

I made that on 8bc. wink we'll see how it goes... right now i'm too busy with shows/real work/life to add much at the moment. (this month sucks)

Yes. The two column list was a nice one!

I approve of this suggestion. +1