From what I've read it seems like you guys know quite about music in general in regards to composition and such. 

I absolutely love the sound of chiptunes. I got a DMG from a friend who didn't want his anymore and bought LSDJ and I've learned quite a bit about the program but I have no musical background at all and I feel like I'm struggling to write anything that sounds like it's supposed to be music as apposed to a bunch of sounds playing at the same time.

For example, I always thought getting a good drum beat wasn't that difficult but I guess I was wrong, I feel like I go a little crazy and add in drum notes all over and there really isn't any rhythm to it. I recently tried looking up a drumming tutorial to get a better understanding so that I can at least set up a good beat for my songs.   

Other than just playing around the LSDJ which I plan on continuing to do, is there any advice someone can share that might help?

orange county, CA

you should look at people's .Sav files if you can. you can see how they work, and began to understand what exactly it is they are doing. that would be an easy help to begin writing in LSDJ. also PM me if you need any other kind of help. i like helping, haha. goodluck to you mate.

shanghai

dont stress about it. dont rush. listen to some other stuff for inspiration. also get a keyboard or something you can practice writing melodies on faster than keying them in. fuck tutorials. i mean you need to know what you want to make, start simple, expect all your first tunes to be pretty shit cos most likely, they will be. hope that makes sense, in time you ll find out if you're capable of writing decent music. i always wanted to be a comic book artist, i was relatively handy with a pencil as a kid but couldn't draw on my imagination to ever draw something decent without copying something else. it turned out i sucked as an artist and preferred making music.

sweden
Downstate wrote:

i always wanted to be a comic book artist, i was relatively handy with a pencil as a kid but couldn't draw on my imagination to ever draw something decent without copying something else. it turned out i sucked as an artist and preferred making music.

Hey that's me!

You could always start by doing some covers of songs, be them chip or not.

You should learn some basic music theory! Not crazy stuff like augmented sixth chords and stuff, but start with the basics of notes and chord structures and you can play around with that to get a general feel for how music works smile

Here's one and here is another to get you started!

Also, once you learn what the notes sound like and get sort of familiar with how it all pieces together, try writing down some of your melodies that you come up with, and put them into LSDJ by ear.

California

Teoria is also a good place to learn music theory. My teacher recommended it.

New Orleans, Louisiana

I'm sort of in the same boat, but as DataFix said... look at .sav files. They have helped me tremendously.

Armidale NSW Australia :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/LSDJguides?feature=watch

This is a channel full of LSDJ tutorials

He wants to know about composition, not LSDJ.

Ohhhh sorry maybe ask someone if you could look at their .save files like DataFix said

Last edited by square0ne (Apr 12, 2012 4:22 am)

Zef's are a good start: http://zef-music.bandcamp.com/

shanghai

yeah copy someones .sav's. this is a good idea to become original. this is pointless if you know no music theory though really. id say buy a keyboard or some other instrument, and learn to play it

México, DF.
Downstate wrote:

buy a keyboard or some other instrument, and learn to play it

Yes learn to play an instrument and read music. I play Guitar and it has helped me with music structure.

Fargo

Throw some notes on a staff and call it progressive.