Santa Cruz, California

So, now that the plastics are done, I can start in on making this thing work.
I wanted to relocate the cartridge port to a more centered location. Having the keyboard be a toplaoder with a cart poking out of a prominent position just tickles my nerdy bits... let's just yank you out of there, eh?

Remember how I was saying there was no room for the motherboard? That was only half correct; there's room for the board, just not the things attached to it.

Now, say goodbye to the volume control, link port, power switch, and the a/c jack. In fact, I don't need any of these pieces for the rest of my build, so they'll be tossed in my parts bin.

Now it'll fit.

Now, back to my cartridge port. I needed to mount it, so I took careful measurements, and drilled some holes in my case to run some plastite screws through.
(this photo is of spectacular quality, no?)

Then I had to bend up the pins on my cartridge port.

Installation: Complete

Then there was the issue of connection back to the motherboard.
Simple, Ribbon cable... and a lot of frustrating soldering.

I'm a master of improvising. There was a short lived snag, where I had no way of running the ribbon cable from the motherboard to the cartridge port. Enter careful cutting with a small razor saw. This alone took me about 20 minutes to do, but it was well worth it.

And here's a test to make sure everything fits.

This is the part where patience and finesse come into play: Cutting out the cartridge slot. This was done with a drill, a small razor saw, a pattern file, and a large flat rasp. I wanted it to be perfect, so I really took my time, and did dozens of test fits. I was at it for almost 45 minutes.

More coming soon. I took a break to post this because I'm waiting for some epoxy to dry.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 1, 2013 11:08 pm)

Santa Cruz, California

Now, to be completely honest, I only got into chiptune stuff about a week ago. This is only my third DMG mod, and it's the first that involves more than installing optional audio-out. So, don't be too critical of how long it takes me to get this stuff done.

I spent most of my day soldering, being angry, troubleshooting, and then being angry again.
I'm amazed there aren't any references for spreading your Gameboy as thinly as possible throughout a keyboard, and have it still work.
I honestly spent a lot of time being frustrated, and didn't take many pictures today, but I'll show you what I've got.
We'll start with wiring the cartridge port.

Then there was a lot swearing, and tons of this:

Until 11:00 pm...

IT LIVES!!!!!

Great project mate!  Coming along well!  Any chance I can buy that a/c jack from the DMG from you?  I have a back PCB that needs a jack so I could use that a/c jack if you don't need it now.

shanghai

awesome. i always had a similar idea. but with an arduinoboy and the gameboy guts inside an old midi keyboard. I had dreams of making it in a ms-20 style case, the screen and the buttons on the top half for using MBG. but nowadays i doubt i'll ever find time.

Holland

Great project!

Maine

wow this is awesome if i made one i'd put a guitar strap on it and use it like a keytar big_smile

Santa Cruz, California

CATASTROPHIC FAILURE!
Apparently it's difficult to adhere different types of PVC together, and a ridiculous notion to expect them to stick.
Long story short; while I was busy installing hardware, all if the seams started delaminating. Now I get to spend an entire extra day waiting for glue to dry, and get nothing else done.
FML.

babylon

im curious how the keyboards going to connect with link port with it on the side there, but this looks cool as a cucumber.

babylon

edit: double post

Last edited by walter b. gentle (Feb 3, 2013 5:30 am)

Santa Cruz, California
walter b. gentle wrote:

im curious how the keyboards going to connect with link port with it on the side there, but this looks cool as a cucumber.

I'm going to wire the motherboard directly to the keyboard's driver board. It's essentially the same as modding the keyboard cable, just more direct.
You'll see.

Santa Cruz, California

Okay, I did take some pics while I was working (amid the failing adhesive) and I did make some progress.
The first thing I jumped on this morning was the rear panel area for my audio-outs.

And then I made a new panel out of plex. I wanted to have a little "Window of Truth" because, when this is done, it's going to look like a manufactured product, and I think it's important to be able view all the crapulence within.

I reamed out a hole for a cool illuminated rocker switch.

I spent a lot of time going through various battery placement possibilities. This is what I came up with.
(this battery pack is only temporary until my rechargeable nicad pack and charger show up)

And then... while I was doing some wiring...

Dammit...

Grimsby, UK

when everything sticks together,
this is going to be fantastic. it makes me... tingle...

Westfield, NJ

i am still having a hard time believing this is for real. it's like i've seen an oasis in the desert and I need to rub my eyes because it's so damn beautiful.

Santa Cruz, California
Decktonic wrote:

i am still having a hard time believing this is for real. it's like i've seen an oasis in the desert and I need to rub my eyes because it's so damn beautiful.

Flattery will get you everywhere.

Santa Cruz, California

So, most of my day was spent watching glue dry... again. BUT I HAVE PICTURES OF IT!
Observe:

And I drilled the holes for my RCA and 1/4" jacks...

More time will be spent watching glue dry tomorrow, so don't expect much activity... Maybe I'll paint something for you guys in the mean time.

Melbourne, Australia

Cannot wait to see more of this.