You should have made the DMG completely internal and wired it up to have video out and mounted a LCD screen upright from the back.  Then you should have wired a NES controller port onto the front of it so you could plug in a NES controller and control the DMG via that.

Santa Cruz, California
nerdsome wrote:

You should have made the DMG completely internal and wired it up to have video out and mounted a LCD screen upright from the back.  Then you should have wired a NES controller port onto the front of it so you could plug in a NES controller and control the DMG via that.

I like that idea.
Perhaps I'll incorporate that into my next build... I'll have to use a GBA to get video out... hmmmm... This might require a little thought.

EDIT:
Nevermind. A small amount (re. 15 minutes) of research has given me a parts list, schematics, and instructions on how to get video-out from a DMG... and it's a lot easier than i thought it would be... In fact, it's easier than trying to get video-out from a GBA.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 5, 2013 2:00 am)

shanghai

call me a pesimist but i have a feeling you're never gonna make any music with this thing.  I mean, It seems alot of work to build all this if you haven't even begun making chiptooonz yet : P

You can do video out on DMG it just requires a lot of work.  Actually, djtransformer.com offers a video out adapter but it's really pricey and honestly, you'd probably never get it if you ordered from him.  But it is possible.

Santa Cruz, California
Downstate wrote:

call me a pesimist but i have a feeling you're never gonna make any music with this thing.  I mean, It seems alot of work to build all this if you haven't even begun making chiptooonz yet : P

Yup, you're a pessimist.
I'm an autodidact. Learning anything and everything is both easy and a joy for me. This is only my third DMG build, and I already see a lot of my own mistakes and have begun better planning and a parts list for my next build. I've been making chiptunes since I got my cart this morning, and getting pretty good with the interface so far.

Don't be such a Debbie Downer, m'kay?

nerdsome wrote:

You can do video out on DMG it just requires a lot of work.  Actually, djtransformer.com offers a video out adapter but it's really pricey and honestly, you'd probably never get it if you ordered from him.  But it is possible.

Got a parts list and schematics. I'll build a test adapter and see what I can do with it.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 5, 2013 2:07 am)

Westfield, NJ
Teh D3th St4r wrote:
Downstate wrote:

Yup, you're a pessimist.

Don't be such a Debbie Downer, m'kay?

his name is Downstate! if he stopped being a downer he would have to change his name =/

Santa Cruz, California

LOL.

Seattle, WA

Dude, PM me if you want to do a modded gameboy for me, you seem really fucking good at this.

Santa Cruz, California
Dire Hit wrote:

Dude, PM me if you want to do a modded gameboy for me, you seem really fucking good at this.

PM sent.

shanghai

i am a pesimist sure : P .......prove me wrong please.

But around here you see a MILLION dudes buying and painting their gameboys and making logo's and stickers for their names before they've made a single tune. And most of those dudes sell their dmg collection a year later i imagine haha

Gosford, Australia

this is a couple steps above a backlight & bad spray job though (just a couple! tongue)
tbh i couldn't care less if he makes music or not, seeing what really adept modders can do gives me a semi-on, ya dig?

Long Beach, CA
Downstate wrote:

i am a pesimist sure : P .......prove me wrong please.

But around here you see a MILLION dudes buying and painting their gameboys and making logo's and stickers for their names before they've made a single tune. And most of those dudes sell their dmg collection a year later i imagine haha

Dude, seriously, chill. Part of this culture is re-imagining  these consoles for things other than gaming. You wouldn't have your precious Pro Sound if someone wasn't tinkering around with a GB. They don't have to be top chip musicians.

Hell, that goes the same for...you know 100% of the music merchant industry. You think the people who pump out new synths, amps, midi controllers are full-time session musicians or something?

Finland
Downstate wrote:

But around here you see a MILLION dudes buying and painting their gameboys and making logo's and stickers for their names before they've made a single tune.

Pretty much this, I guess for some this site is about doing awesome paintjobs and diamond d-pads, but theres also the music aspect. Being a autodidact doesnt change a thing.

For the thread starter:

Its a cool thing youre doing but design-wise doesnt make any sense, using that d-pad that is attached to keyboard will be annoying, and if youre going to add keyboard control + screen, why even bother. Also glueing up together a midi keyboard and a keyboard looks kinda crummy, why not make whole case from plywood or lasercut it or something?

Not trying to knock you down, you certainly have the right spirit and seem to know what you are doing, but little bit lacking the design aspect of _why_ and _why would this be useful_.

To the guys criticizing Teh D3th St4r for building chiptune gear without having written any songs yet (Downstate, DKSTR), maybe you guys should google Leo Fender.  Leo Fender built up a brand of guitars that is now one of the biggest in the world but yet, Leo Fender did not know how to play guitar.

Finland
nerdsome wrote:

To the guys criticizing Teh D3th St4r for building chiptune gear without having written any songs yet (Downstate, DKSTR), maybe you guys should google Leo Fender.  Leo Fender built up a brand of guitars that is now one of the biggest in the world but yet, Leo Fender did not know how to play guitar.

So you just skipped the later part of my message? I did appreciate the effort and his general skills, but coming from design field, I just see some problems with both, usability and aesthetics. I can be wrong and will gladly be wrong.

Harrisonburg, Virginia

I don't think this needs to be an argument. Downstate probably saw the "mod before music making" way this thread happened to proceed and made a valid point based on previous experience. Turns out, OP is confident that he's going to use this mod to the fullest, lack of initial music knowledge or not (because I have no idea what your music knowledge is D3th). Um...so back to the awesome modding pictures and discussion? Because this mod looks ridiculous in all the right ways.