shanghai

jesus - control the beef you guys

i've already commented previously how dope this project is. I meant it more as a friendly nudge like 'man this is so good, would be a shame if this dude never makes dope shit with it'

i was commenting more on the fact that the dude has the bug and insane skills like Mr.Nex and he'll probably end up turning this into something totally crazy that will consume his life haha,  i mean its already his 3rd build - this shit is addictive yo !

but....
while im here

"You wouldn't have your precious Pro Sound if someone wasn't tinkering around with a GB. They don't have to be top chip musicians."

- probably this was done for music purposes. unless you really care about playing kirby w more bass ?

and

"tbh i couldn't care less if he makes music or not, seeing what really adept modders can do gives me a semi-on, ya dig?"

yes i Dig - i have a full on boner.

Anyway back to the pics. My post was a bit negative, but anyway lets not fuck up a cool thread with bickering.

Long Beach, CA
Downstate wrote:

"You wouldn't have your precious Pro Sound if someone wasn't tinkering around with a GB. They don't have to be top chip musicians."

- probably this was done for music purposes. unless you really care about playing kirby w more bass ?

I'd love Kirby with more bass, dude.

Also, I feel you. *bro fist*

LA:CA

You need to draw some sort of blueprint for this masterpiece in progress

Santa Cruz, California

DKSTR
Dude, I'm sorry I couldn't build something more appealing to you out of the junk I had in my garage. I'll be sure to run out and buy some MDF and build a boring modular box for you gawk at.

Anyway; WOAH! Gentlemen, please, rest your sphincters!
I'll get some more work done tomorrow. All of the happy creative people can enjoy some artist making an electronic instrument out of garbage, and all of the cynical jerks can criticize and bitch about it.

In the mean time, enjoy my new painting:

Chicago

man, two entertaining reads on cm.o tonight.
high five the death star, this is a grand creation

UK, Leicester
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

DKSTR
Dude, I'm sorry I couldn't build something more appealing to you out of the junk I had in my garage. I'll be sure to run out and buy some MDF and build a boring modular box for you gawk at.

Anyway; WOAH! Gentlemen, please, rest your sphincters!
I'll get some more work done tomorrow. All of the happy creative people can enjoy some artist making an electronic instrument out of garbage, and all of the cynical jerks can criticize and bitch about it.

In the mean time, enjoy my new painting:

Yo, that's pretty sick, you a graffer?

Santa Cruz, California

Sometimes.
Though, where I live, if you do manage to get anything up and finished without getting caught, the city and/or some uptight transplants from the Silicon valley will cover your work within 12 hours. The outlying places worth painting are full of aspiring graph writers and taggers (re. not artists) and they have no respect. They'll run over your masterpiece with their two dollar rattle cans, and try to emulate Banksy or Pez.
Nowadays, I stick to canvas. But I've been known to hit a high rise or two when I'm up in the Sacremento area.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 5, 2013 8:17 am)

UK, Leicester
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

Sometimes.
Though, where I live, if you do manage to get anything up and finished without getting caught, the city and/or some uptight transplants from the Silicon valley will cover your work within 12 hours. The outlying places worth painting are full of aspiring graph writers and taggers (re. not artists) and they have no respect. They'll run over your masterpiece with their two dollar rattle cans, and try to emulate Banksy or Pez.
Nowadays, I stick to canvas. But I've been known to hit a high rise or two when I'm up in the Sacremento area.

That's pretty damn rough, down here most of the "artists" are old time graffers, in their late 30s, early 40s who just do stuff for the council (painting skateparks etc) kinda ironic that they're working for the peeps who used to paint over their stuff. Mostly we got taggers, I happen to be one. I get annoyed with all these toys going over good stuff, just because they don't know any better, if I saw anything like that I wouldn't go over it, I probably wouldn't tag anywhere near it. As a rule, I just don't go over other peeps work, common courtesy y'know?

Wow, nice mod work here! Seriously impressive! I look forward to everything you'll put out in the future, keep documenting everything well like this too, it makes it a lot of fun to follow along. I for one don't mind if you don't end up making music, because you're an artist of a modder and that's an art unto itself. Us those of us who are musicians will certainly appreciate any advances you make to the modding scene! Personally I haven't modded a single thing, not really my speciality, but I enjoy seeing what other people can do, and I need mods for my music so I'm very appreciative!

Santa Cruz, California

Shall we get back to the build?
So, after two days of WAITING FOR GLUE TO DRY, I get to wake up to this:

The glorious thing about electrical tape is that you stretch it tight to hold something down, and it will never relax. I gives constant tension.

Let's peel that off and have a look.

I gave this thing a good hard twist, and nothing shifted. Looks like we're in business.

"Amazing" you think "Now we'll finally get to see some real magic happen."
Well, you'd be wrong... because there's STILL MORE TO GLUE! Nothing major.
Witness exhibit A.

Those need to be bonded together so we don't suffer any further structural failures.

This is my favorite PVC cement.

Give him the Clamps!

"Oh no!" you think "We have to waste another day WAITING FOR GLUE TO DRY?"
HOGWASH!
I have the base back, so I can work on some wiring... and wire is one of those things I definitely have at my disposal.
See; when your dad's been an electrical engineer for the last forty years, and has worked in places from Atari to Creative Labs, there tends to be a TON of spare parts laying around. Especially wire.

I think I'll start with my 1/4" stereo jack and a length of 4 strand.

I yanked out the green wire (because I don't need it)

No real place to put shrink tube, so I'm just gonna leave it naked.

Then I did the RCA jacks. It was essentially the same as doin... WTF? Shit, you're not going to believe this.
(I wish I could blame this on weed)

Anyway, after some swearing and calling myself a dumbass, I fixed that problem (it's always important to pay attention to what you're doing) and installed the jacks back into my "Window of Truth".

I think it looks cool from the outside.
(picture doesn't depict levels of radness)

Now my desk is a mess, I'm out of coffee, and it's time for lunch.

Then it's time to learn some more LSDj before getting back to work. Oh, and this is my little retro corner for games that have to be played on a CRT television set.
(Note: I haven't taken a picture of a TV since the early 90's when I was sending in high scores to Nintendo Power)

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 6, 2013 3:40 am)

Maine

looking good! big_smile

Melbourne, Australia

Seems electrical engineering and the like runs in the family!

Seattle, WA

This is going to be soooo cool. Would you ever sell it?

Santa Cruz, California
Dire Hit wrote:

This is going to be soooo cool. Would you ever sell it?

After I build the next one.

Santa Cruz, California

Apparently, coffee and a burrito turns me into a dog.
Here I am, hard at work.

Here's a little more wiring action!
Remember: Shrink tube IS your friend. Electrical tape will stab you in the back.

Yay! The sound works (not that I had a doubt)

Awesome, now lets plug in LSDj and... wait, what? WTF is this?
You were just playing Tetris...

Lets see if you play on the other DMG...

Well, I'm stumped. Alright people, any thoughts?
It plays every other game I have (I checked all 127 carts) but LSDj wont boot. WTF?

Seattle, WA
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

Apparently, coffee and a burrito turns me into a dog.
Here I am, hard at work.

Cute dog.