New York, NY

THIS IS THE STORY:
After about a year of VJing with pikix, even though I was loving the simple  I was getting increasingly frustrated with the frequent crashes and other handicaps that came with the GP2X, like the external power supply falling out and parts being hard to replace.

Still scared of VJing with laptops, and lacking coding skills to make anything myself, I tried out, at Datapop last week, THIS THING:

PS24VJ
Developed by the same bro who developed pikix, it is also a VJing software that functions with the same idea: loading and looping clips with the option of adding on some effects, except it runs on a PS2 instead of a GP2X, which means that the setup already comes with a composite video out and an external power supply.

1. The video quality is supremely better. Apparently, it will soon support 640x480 size clips.
2. A much more intuitive (and prettier) interface than pikix
2. oh man, OH MAN is this thing stable. I played through 8 30min sets with Omeros, with ONE minor freeze... possibly the lowest number of crashes for me.

If any of you have tried pikix, or wanted to try VJing with a handheld console and hate crashes as much as I do, I definitely recommend giving this one a try!

THE END.

☺☺☺

Saw this a little whole ago. Pikix is cool but from what i see there isnt much editing apart from spin/spin faster/scroll.

loading of you own loops? YUMMMMMM

Last edited by Emar (Mar 20, 2010 12:17 pm)

IL, US

yeah, once it gets 640x480, ill give it a try, make that ps2 a little more useful than just playing okami on it...i cant imagine something less stable than pikix, tbh and i even used neuromixer on a vista sp1 laptop once

NYC

I've been meaning to check this out, why so scared of laptops ?

Unsubscribe

Laptops are for LOSERS.

I played with Pikilipita once, he really wants to be more involved in VJing at events, he seemed bewildered as to why he didn't get any offers considering there are very few UK based VJs.

From the PS24VJ site

PIKILIPITA wrote:

How to get the PS24VJ software:
I happily share this project with other VJs for a money donation: tell me how much you would donate and you'll get a copy of PS24VJ if your offer is welcomed.

So J Y K, out of curiosity, how much did you offer... what does he expect?  'Cause I think this is pretty rad looking.

New York City
Stevens wrote:

I played with Pikilipita once, he really wants to be more involved in VJing at events, he seemed bewildered as to why he didn't get any offers considering there are very few UK based VJs.

There's not few UK based VJs, maybe there are few UK based, cheaptoon-prone VJs. But UK is the single place on earth with the biggest load of VJs in the world!

I talked with him before and he seems always to be in lack of gigs, yeah. I think he has a very particular style that is not suited just for anything, and making cheaptoon gigs probably won't pay off his work hmm

At any rate, he should be invited to Blip Festival.

PIKILIPITA wrote:

How to get the PS24VJ software:
tell me how much you would donate and you'll get a copy of PS24VJ if your offer is welcomed.

I think he pretty much says it all, offer whatever you want. Make it fair. Don't poll it with Jean, just follow your heart.

Last edited by akira^8GB (May 26, 2010 5:11 pm)

I asked because I never bought vj software before.  I do want to make it fair, and not be an ass offering too little.

Chicago IL

if he says no, offer more, jesus. this isnt one of those situations where one door leads to a vj program and the other leads to death.

New York City
Battle Lava wrote:

I asked because I never bought vj software before.  I do want to make it fair, and not be an ass offering too little.

As he said, whatever you want is fair.
VJ software costs around 400/600 euros, you wanna pay that? I think it's not the idea tongue

Saskrotch wrote:

if he says no, offer more, jesus. this isnt one of those situations where one door leads to a vj program and the other leads to death.

relax

akira^8GB wrote:

As he said, whatever you want is fair.  VJ software costs around 400/600 euros, you wanna pay that? I think it's not the idea tongue

yeah, I wasn't going to offer that much yikes but that is interesting to know

Last edited by Battle Lava (May 27, 2010 10:33 am)

Eanske, Holland

ps2 you guys are so newschool tongue
what's next, xbox360 for chip ?

Last edited by poke-1,170 (May 28, 2010 1:04 am)

IL, US
poke-1,170 wrote:

ps2 you guys are so newschool tongue
what's next, xbox360 for chip ?

you can run linux on a modded xbox orig, so you should be able to run milky on it...so maybe smile

Eanske, Holland

Yeah i can recommend pcs and macs to make music on too.
Way easier then those gameboys wink

akira^8GB wrote:

There's not few UK based VJs, maybe there are few UK based, cheaptoon-prone VJs. But UK is the single place on earth with the biggest load of VJs in the world!

I talked with him before and he seems always to be in lack of gigs, yeah. I think he has a very particular style that is not suited just for anything, and making cheaptoon gigs probably won't pay off his work hmm

Ha fair point! Events like the AV Social (where I did it with him) are relatively standard in the UK. There are hardly any (good) ''chiptune scene VJs'' (emphasis on inverted commas there) but I guess that doesn't mean a great deal, though what seemed strange was that even though most UK gig organisers pine for a 'chiptune VJ!?!?' they don't know who Pikilipita is. Different worlds I suppose, or laziness.

akira^8GB wrote:

At any rate, he should be invited to Blip Festival.

Yes!