Melbourne, Australia

I figured that it is probably not just my household that's interested in the below.
No one else has posted about it yet, but some of you may know...

Anyway, they're releasing a revamped Commodore called Phoenix....

As Celsius and I were discussing kind of a cool alternative to a lappy when you can just take it on holiday with you and plug it into the TV in your hotel room and have your whole PC with you... or as a media centre...

I think there will be one in our house come end of the year
http://www.commodoreusa.net/index.html

Sweden

These wedge PC's have actually been around for a couple of years, so I'm betting that it's just relabeled with the Commodore brand. Also, it's an obvious trademark infringement since these guys actually aren't Commodore at all.

Melbourne, Australia

Its actually interesting - if you look on the news page they talk about how they're trying to get access to be able to use the old school commodore logo. I'm a bit confused as to how they can get away with making those very clear this is the new c64 references (calling themselves commodore USA for example) if they don't hold copyright/trademark. I've been trying to find out more about who these guys are.

uhajdafdfdfa

http://www.cybernetman.com/en/products/ … c-gx31.cfm

edit: looks like "Commodore USA" have just stretched the pictures from the Cybernet website and put them on their own website - I'm guessing they're hoping to buy the Cybernet computers, stick a commodore logo on them, and sell them again for twice as much? sad

Last edited by ant1 (Mar 20, 2010 12:19 pm)

São Paulo, Brazil

this look like a neuromancer's cyberdeck.

Last edited by PULSELOOPER (Mar 20, 2010 11:26 am)

Melbourne, Australia

So I looked into it a little further apparently cybernet now have the licensing for the name commodore so it's not someone else buying them out they just decided to get the name commodore rerelease it under that banner with a press release and get some publicity

uhajdafdfdfa

Fair enough... smile I like the look of the computer.

Liverpool, UK

Looks a little like a decapitated laptop to me!

Website is very unprofessional, a free slideshow program? Jeebus!

New York City

This is ass.
What's the point of calling it a Commodore?
The extents to which lame companies go to acquire a defunct brand just to see if they catch some extra market are pathetic.

Milan, Italy
akira^8GB wrote:

The extents to which lame companies go to acquire a defunct brand just to see if they catch some extra market are pathetic.

Yes, but it is working. I've seen this new COMMODORE 9100 on many and many websites in the past days..

New York City

That doesn't mean it will be a market hit.
I rather buy a netbook than this pile of crap.

São Paulo, Brazil

this one is crappier: http://www.commodoregaming.com/pcshop/Country.aspx

Minneapolis

It's just the bottom half of a laptop, I could make one with a saw and a cheap laptop.

Los Angeles
akira^8GB wrote:

This is ass.
What's the point of calling it a Commodore?

Isn't this what the original Commodore did in the 80's by aquiring "Amiga"?  I know Commodore (at the time) wasnt a lame company, but they did purchase a computer from another company and called it a Commodore right?

Also would you feel different if original members of Commodore from the 80's were involved in the company? If so, who would it have to be?

Last edited by 8bitweapon (Mar 21, 2010 12:35 am)

New York City
8bitweapon wrote:

Isn't this what the original Commodore did in the 80's by aquiring "Amiga"?  I know Commodore (at the time) wasnt a lame company, but they did purchase a computer from another company and called it a Commodore right?

Totally difefrent. Back then the machines like the Amiga were truly different to others, unique IP.
This is just a PC computer. There's nothing in this shit that is interesting and whatever performance or possibilities it offers are the same as those of most any other computer in the current market.

No, I don't care who makes this. This is cash in on retarded nostalgia. And the owner of Commodore back then, Jack Tramiel, was a jerk anyway, he just had the most successful home computer as a side effect but he never gave a shit about that or how the machine performed or felt, he was more concerned about saving lots of money and maximizing his profit.

I am in no way a fanatic of any brand and Commodore is no exception.

IL, US

we used to have the photographers use cybernet elite's at work..actually i built one out of parts from dead ones once...they were ok, but had heat issues and little room for expansion (you could have an optical drive or a pci expansion slot, not both)...
also: holy overpriced computer!!! fuck, buy an hp dv6t laptop instead