New Jersey

I've been really into databending for the past year or two, and this seemed like the perfect place to find other people who have been experimenting with it as well!  Anyone have any really cool techniques they've been using?  Personally, I use Audacity and add the most subtle effects I can possibly produce then layer them on top of one-another.

I absolutely love the imperfection that comes with glitching up an image.  Although you know what each individual effect does, there's still an excitement that comes with waiting for the image to save just to see the outcome.

Yeah, i also love me some Bending from time to time.
Sometimes only do one Effect for the whole picture and then do another one the same way and layer them.
And other times i just use multiple effects on one.

Last edited by 9-Heart (Feb 3, 2013 9:15 am)

New Jersey
9-Heart wrote:

This one is rad!

Are you using Audacity?

Yeah for the most part. But the Hot Nurse one was actually made with only Wordpad.

shanghai

that nurse is hawt. she looks so flexible haha

montreal, qc

i fool around with it, but have yet to come up with any neat techniques that i haven't seen others do better.
bending images with an audio editor, you have to be reaaally subtle. often, i just get garbage (or break the file header).
i suspect if i looked more into the data structure of the image formats in question, i might get further

Last edited by ilkae (Feb 3, 2013 4:49 pm)

New Jersey

Generally when I'm shooting for databending, I'll leave some room in the shot for where the header will be so I don't have to worry about it too much.  I love the colors in that image though.

And I agree: subtlety is key.

Maine

wow this stuff is cool!
i still dont know how to do this without breaking the headers hmm

rochester, ny
TheBronyChip wrote:

wow this stuff is cool!
i still dont know how to do this without breaking the headers hmm

just don't messwith the very beginning of the file. if you use audacity, you should be able to see how the first few bytes of audio look different from the rest. don't change those and you should be good.

ohio gozaimasu

I do a few lazy bends

liverpool - uk

I made a php script to glitch up images, it's been posted here before: http://www.errozero.co.uk/glitchatron/
It just does a find and replace on random parts of the file, leaving out the header section. The results are not as good as those ones done in an audio editor though, what kind of effects did you add?

Last edited by poisoncut (Feb 3, 2013 9:51 pm)

Rotterdam, the Netherlands

Never tried it, but it reminded me of some artwork for How To Destroy Angels by Rob Sheridan

http://rob-sheridan.com/analog/one.html

New Jersey

In Audactiy, my general rule of thumb is to not even touch the first five seconds of audio. 
Of course smaller files will have smaller headers, but I like working with large images.

New Jersey
Cooshinator wrote:

I do a few lazy bends

Also, these are rad!

(219) Indiana, USA
poisoncut wrote:

I made a php script to glitch up images, it's been posted here before: http://www.errozero.co.uk/glitchatron/
It just does a find and replace on random parts of the file, leaving out the header section. The results are not as good as those ones done in an audio editor though, what kind of effects did you add?

That's pretty fun, I used it to make these images:

Brighton
MostNoble9 wrote:

[...]Although you know what each individual effect does[...]

Well I've used a hex editor but not messed with an audioeditor much, do you keep notes or anything online ?