slo

I'm looking at the different midi options for a gameboy. However I actually don't need all that functionality that comes with an arduinoboy.

I would just like to write a song (notes) with my gameboy while I'm on a bus and then convert the .sav file to midi. The midi file could later be used in a sequencer with a synth. Basically I'd use a gameboy for jotting down ideas.

Does something like that exist? Is it even possible?

Last edited by running.from (Feb 3, 2013 4:21 pm)

I don't think there is anything that does that because that is really strange.  Why would you write a chiptunes track then convert it to fakebit?

Bristol, UK

Might be something you can do with midi-out with an arduinoboy?

It's not strange, i'd love to be able to do that, write in lsdj then be able to open it in renoise.

United Kingdom

Would be a really nice feature.

Abandoned on Fire

This thread will help you out:  http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/3911/ … sequencer/

slo
nerdsome wrote:

I don't think there is anything that does that because that is really strange.  Why would you write a chiptunes track then convert it to fakebit?

Oh no, I won't be making fakebit. Basicaly I'd use my gameboy as a portable midi sequencer. Kinda like the ones mentioned in this thread. But I don't need all the functionality, only basic midi, to import it intto my daw/software sequencer. 4 lsdj tracks are more than enough for sketching out ideas.

@ egr: Thanks a lot! That's probably what I've been looking for smile

rochester, ny

i would just transcribe what i'd written on the gameboy in whatever midi program i'm using.

Unsubscribe

You might have better luck using a program like bhajis loop for this instead.

Maybe saying it's strange is a bit negative.  I would just prefer a midi to .sav feature and not vice versa.  I usually write melodies and stuff in reason using a midi controller then copying it to LSDJ.  Maybe midi thru is what you're looking for?

Edit:  viewed that thread posted by egr and realize I have no idea what I'm talking about.  Seems like a lot of work and, for me, a useless feature but if its works and you write great songs, then good on ya.

Last edited by nerdsome (Feb 3, 2013 7:11 pm)

Unsubscribe

well its partly because all the portable midi sequencers in the world suck eggs.

Sweeeeeeden

This is not exactly it, but it's a start...

http://littlesounddj.com/lsd/latest/lsd2mml/

slo

Ok, I looked at the arduinoboy thread and it isn't exactly what I need.
Nitro2k01's suggestion is probably what I'm looking for... It's the first time I heard about mml, after reading this , I understand a bit more. With this mml2midi program (it's in japanese) it might actually work.

I see that my idea is a lot more complicated than I thought hmm It might just be better forgetting about this and continuing with using lsdj for chiptunes.

Last edited by running.from (Feb 3, 2013 8:53 pm)

Bristol, UK
running.from wrote:

Ok, I looked at the arduinoboy thread and it isn't exactly what I need.
Nitro2k01's suggestion is probably what I'm looking for... It's the first time I heard about mml, after reading this , I understand a bit more. With this mml2midi program (it's in japanese) it might actually work.

I see that my idea is a lot more complicated than I thought hmm It might just be better forgetting about this and continuing with using lsdj for chiptunes.

Unfortunately the quickest way for me seems to be opening the sav in an emulator in one window and copying note for note into renoise...

Chicago IL

You're basically adding steps to something that you should, as a composer, be able to do really easily.