Santa Cruz, California

Here's the beginnings of the functional prototype.

I'm using a Yobo clone (re. the only clone that performs better than the original hardware) for the primary function and the cartridge slot.

Figure out where it goes, and measure very carefully.

Cut that shit!

Gently shape everything until it fits snugly.

Boom! Worked out just like I thought it would!
(That almost never happens)

Now I have a bunch of gluing, sanding, filling, filing, and soldering to do... Stay tuned.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 18, 2014 9:50 pm)

Teh D3th St4r wrote:

I also questioned taking the "grill" off the face of this design... so I decided to put it back.
I think it looks WAY better. I'll figure out another place in the design to integrate the "Power" and "Reset" buttons.

you could stick em in the original spots, or below the screen above the original location...or maybe to the right of the grille.  Regardless, these are awesome.

Last edited by rygD (Feb 18, 2014 9:57 pm)

Teh D3th St4r wrote:

Cut that shit!

nevermind

Teh D3th St4r wrote:

I'm using a Yobo clone (re. the only clone that performs better than the original hardware) for the primary function and the cartridge slot.

It performs better than the original?  I might look into it and replace one of my NESs.

Minneapolis

I've messed with Yobo before, don't they have problems with Castlevania 3?

Santa Cruz, California
arfink wrote:

I've messed with Yobo before, don't they have problems with Castlevania 3?

And a few others.
The yobo has a different crystal in it, and runs about 8x faster than the NES. So games that use the "flicker" technique to accommodate for the limited capabilities of the NES tend to glitch or have completely absent sprites during gameplay. But this only effect 4-5 games in the entire NES library.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 18, 2014 11:46 pm)

Minneapolis

I have also heard (with my own ears) that it has audio issues, and doesn't do expansion audio either on the US version. But for most games it's hard to notice.

I've seen somewhere around the interwebs that somebody did a new custom PCB that you can just drop a PPU and CPU from an NES onto and it supplies the rest, and it's really tiny. I can't seem to find it at the moment though.

Santa Cruz, California
arfink wrote:

I have also heard (with my own ears) that it has audio issues, and doesn't do expansion audio either on the US version. But for most games it's hard to notice.

I've seen somewhere around the interwebs that somebody did a new custom PCB that you can just drop a PPU and CPU from an NES onto and it supplies the rest, and it's really tiny. I can't seem to find it at the moment though.

This thing is going to a have a single 2.5" speaker... The audio isn't going to be great anyway.

If you find a link for that tiny board, you'd better let me know ASAP.

Melbourne, Australia
arfink wrote:

...you mean this?

Melbourne, Australia

Would love to have one, but it ain't cheap!

http://www.tindie.com/stores/low_budget/

The Super 8 doesn't seem like it is intended for those with a low_budget.  I figured an actual NES would be best for keeping it cheap and fully compatible, which is why I asked about the Yobo.

Technical stuff aside, I just want to see you playing games on the finished product.  Even better if it is in the middle of nowhere.

SLC, UT

Wow, this is great. I am really excited to see this done. Seems fairly straightforward. Do you plan to have an internal power supply? Heck, you could even probably use an old computer psu easily enough! They don't supply 9volts for the NES, but does the Yobo use that? Even so, you're probably safe with 12. Also that would allow you to wire up the power/reset switches super easily.

Santa Cruz, California

I retrofitted that silly little spring flap/door/thingie to work.
There was a considerable amount of futzing involved, but now it works perfectly and looks fantastic.

Santa Cruz, California

Practice run on the top half (to get accurate measurements for when I have panels precut) don't have the screen cut out yet because the TFT display hasn't been delivered yet.
Compare foamcore mockup to working prototype in progress.

I'm particularly proud of this little piece.

Minneapolis

Handsome! And yes, that Super 8 is the thing I had in mind, and it is indeed very spendy. Yikes. tongue

Well, Yobo away, my good sir. I'm sure this is going to be awesome. smile

clovis CA

cant wait to see how your gonna mount the cart connector smile

I definitely think your project will be top when it's done but I just saw this and thought it's pretty cool as well.

http://hackaday.com/2013/03/12/hinged-n … cd-screen/