I definitely think your project will be top when it's done but I just saw this and thought it's pretty cool as well.

http://hackaday.com/2013/03/12/hinged-n … cd-screen/

Santa Cruz, California

My brother is building one of those!

Cleveland, OH

Been annoying all the the instagram updates. This is so awesome.

I don't think $100 is very much for such an awesome NES "clone". Seems like it would really be worth it for what it offers.

Santa Cruz, California

Am I being annoying?

Anyway, GRAFTING PLASTIC!!!

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:30 am)

Santa Cruz, California
Apeshit wrote:
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

Am I being annoying?

I think he meant "enjoying".

Looking like a promising mod, looking forward to seeing the final product.

LOL! I figured it was a typo, I just couldn't figure out what word was supposed to go there.
Going down to Gary's Plastic to get a sheet of 2.5mm ABS on Friday, and my TFT display and battery pack should be in tomorrow.

Santa Cruz, California

The end of another day, and after a lot of measuring, very careful cutting, gluing, and sanding; my prototype is looking almost identical to my foamcore mockup.

I've breathed in so much plastic dust the last few days... I just might cough up a Lego.

Santa Cruz, California

Power?
Reset?
A Jedi needs not these things!
But, the NES does.
BEHOLD! Relocated buttons, and the process by which they were moved!

Can't do anything else to the top half until I get my screen and sheet of ABS.
Time to start gutting the bottom so I can mount the cartridge port and the other assorted guts.

San Diego

Your plastic graphing skills are ridiculous!

Santa Cruz, California
Vile wrote:

Your plastic graphing skills are ridiculous!

Thank you. Years of practice (re. counterfeit rocket Fetts, Tamiya model kits, Warhammer, and dioramas).

Santa Cruz, California

Here's a sneak peek at my next build.

Because the universe refuses to provide me the opportunity to purchase one of these.

I have no choice but to build one of my own.
It won't be identical, but mine will be better.

clovis CA

dmga? hahaha

Santa Cruz, California

MY DISPLAY ARRIVED TODAY!
That's the good news. The bad news is that, because of the convoluted description amazon gave me, I ended up with a screen that is one size smaller than I expected.
No big deal, this is a prototype! Right!?

Moving on.
Measure. Cut. Fit. Glue.

I suppose it looks okay, but I will be getting bigger displays for my "production" models.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 22, 2014 2:25 am)

San Diego
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

I suppose it looks okay, but I will be getting bigger displays for my "production" models.

Could always refit a larger screen later. Easier to cut a hole bigger then fill in the gaps.

Last edited by Vile (Feb 22, 2014 5:58 am)

Santa Cruz, California
Vile wrote:
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

Could always refit a larger screen later. Easier to cut a hole bigger then fill in the gaps.

Nah. It's going to get painted, and it's not worth having to strip and repaint, just to have a slightly bigger screen. A display this small is actually pretty close to an appropriate size for the 80's.

San Diego

True, you need to add a 50lb weight to make it feel like it's from the 80's. tongue