Germany

Hey, I'm thinking about building an Arduinoboy. But the problem is that because of the lack of instructions how to build one, somethings are hard to figure out.

1. I don't know what kind of led's i should get. some people are talking about 3mm led's, great, but what about the voltage?

2. The amount of resistores needed. i found two schematics on the internet, one is from the "famous" instructables site:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a … schematic/
He uses 6 2k ohm resistores to connect the led's.

On the other hand, there is this schematic:

If i'm right, he uses just one 220ohm resistor to connect all the led's.

Which schematic is right?

Then i have a question about the power source:
i want the arduinoboy to be independent from the gameboy power, that's why i want to use a 9volt battery and a 9 volt power supply. i know how to make sure that the battery and the power supply are not connected at the same time but is there still anything i have to keep in mind?

Is it possible to use a arduino nano instead of a pro mini? i want to use an nano because of the already built in usb connector.

Do i have to get a special LSDJ version or can i just use the latest one with an arduinoboy?

So, i think that's all the questions i have, hope you can help me out smile

Czech republic

- It is safer to use 1 resistor for each led since there are multiple leds lit in the midi-out mode.
- You can use any arduino.
- You can use arduinoboy with any syncable LSDJ version but I think you need special version for the midi-out mode (lsdj4_1_0-arduinoboy).
- Don't know what to add about the power supply.

Germany
ashimoke wrote:

- You can use any arduino.

you mean led, right? smile
so i can use any led and it doesn't matter on which voltage they normally run?

Czech republic

I mean any arduino. You just have to connect everything to the right pins.

Germany

okay, and what about the led's? i still need to know what kind of Led's i can use.

LEDs are so today.  You should go old school and replace all the LEDs with incandescent bulbs.  There will more power consumption but it'll look cooler.

sauerkrautland

If you are using an arduino with a USB port, just power that sucker through that. They run at 5v. You could also buy an arduino uno, it's bigger, but has an extra power in port.
If you want to use a nano, build a battery pack that provides 5v and connect it to the power and ground of a micro USB cable.

also this big_smile:

nerdsome wrote:

replace all the LEDs with incandescent bulbs.

Germany
symaaawn wrote:

If you are using an arduino with a USB port, just power that sucker through that. They run at 5v. You could also buy an arduino uno, it's bigger, but has an extra power in port.
If you want to use a nano, build a battery pack that provides 5v and connect it to the power and ground of a micro USB cable.

also this big_smile:

nerdsome wrote:

replace all the LEDs with incandescent bulbs.

arduinos run at internally at 5 volt as far as i know, but i can connect any power source from 5V to 12V to it, i just have to connect it to the unregulated power pin which the nano can provide (Pin 30)

i want a 9 volt power source cause there are many 9 volt power supplies out there which also power some stompboxes.

i still need to know what kind of led's i should get. i can get led's at a range from 2,1V up to 14V.Could you please tell me which ones i should get, cause i want to get started now!

Czech republic

Get some around 3V for the mentioned resistors.

Germany
ashimoke wrote:

Get some around 3V for the mentioned resistors.

OMG Thank you so much! finally someone who can answer my main question!

Madison, Wisconsin, USA
xvxManuelxvx wrote:

arduinos run at internally at 5 volt as far as i know, but i can connect any power source from 5V to 12V to it

it's best to use 7V to 12V because of the 5V regulated internal supply being linear-regulated.

Germany

I stilltrying to figure out why I should get 3V LED's. Don't get me wrong, if you tell me i should use 3v, i will use 3 v. But the digital pins of the arduino run at 5v as far as i know, so wouldn't it be better to also use 5V LED's?

Any kind of a technical explanation regarding this would be really helpful cause i don't want just build something, i also want to understand the technical aspect behind it smile

Czech republic

That's what the resistors are for. But you can use 5V without resistors. Just buy some leds and try it - costs few cents. I'm not answering no more questions about leds - you can easily find all info you need online. Do that next time please.

Germany

i tried to find the right specs for the led's online but i didn't find any infos regarding the voltage. that's why I'm asking here.
do the digital pins of all arduino modells have a built in resistor? otherwise it would destroy the led if i use them without a resistor.

Czech republic

There are no built in resistors - you have to add them like in trash80's schematics. Use this to calculate the resistor value.

matt's mind
xvxManuelxvx wrote:

i tried to find the right specs for the led's online but i didn't find any infos regarding the voltage. that's why I'm asking here.
do the digital pins of all arduino modells have a built in resistor? otherwise it would destroy the led if i use them without a resistor.

i believe only one pin does (13 if memory recalls), the very early arduino boards didn't at all though i'm not really sure if that feature is standard now or not.  basically...  its set up so you can do the "Blinky" (or whatever) tutorial with just the LED and pretty immediately...