Seattle, WA

Modding is really fun. For me, it's part of the enjoyment of making music on Game Boys. But it's not for everybody. If it's more of a means to an end for you, I suggest spending the extra money and buying one from someone who knows what they're doing. You're supporting their hobby, and they're supporting yours. It's win win!

SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

Pay for projobs, diy for shitty shit.

I paid a decent amount of money to Timbob for a glowing painted DMG and I cant ever regret it. I did a shelljob to one used dmg myself and I cant ever regrt it.

I agree wink

Pittsburgh

As long as you have at least a small amount of skill soldering (and almost no skill is required), doing your own mods is RIDICULOUSLY easy, and fun. I have done 2 DMGs, and neither of them have ever broken. Granted, I've never performed with either of them, but I have dropped both of them more times that I am proud of, or am willing to count. I was really nervous the first time I installed a backlight, but following Kitsch's tutorial, it went in very nicely. The biggest piece of advice I have is to go slowly. The first screen I did, I spent 45 minutes just to peel the foil off, to ensure that nothing would go wrong.

Also, doing your own mods is hella cheaper, which just adds to the list.

New Albany Indiana
danimal cannon wrote:

Every DMG I modded ended up failing after a few months. 

Paid for some pro jobs.  Haven't had any problems.

This is assuring, im working on one right now.

washington

DIY: Just make sure you do your research. Practice your soldering, make sure you know exactly what you're doing, be way too prepared for anything that could happen during the mod.

Buying pre-modded: Buy one from one of the big modders. Justin Thursday, Timbob, Boddah, People that have been in the business for years and have done that specific mod more times than they can count. A lot of the newer modders are just trying to get through the mod, where the experienced ones are most concerned about doing it well, and doing all the small things that make a difference in the long run.

On a side note, I, being jobless and poor, modded my own gameboys to save money, and it has worked out well so far. Also, if something goes wrong, I know how to fix it.

Good luck.