Buffalo

I have been lately thinking about upgrading to a modded DMG with just a simple backlight and prosound mod. I have never tried any hardware modding before, so I have a particular question:

Do you think it is a better idea to mod a DMG yourself, or pay for an already modded one?

I know it probably wouldn't be too hard to figure out how to do the mod's I listed (and the tutorials i have read through seem pretty easy), but I am just worried that I would do a messy job. Has anyone had any bad experiences with either personally modded gameboys, or purchased modded gameboys?

I just fear that the mods may break on me at a bad time. I have heard stories of people's personally modded DMG's failing mid-performance.

Last edited by SBthree (Feb 14, 2013 5:03 am)

SBthree wrote:

I just fear that the mods may break on me at a bad time. I have heard stories of people's personally modded DMG's failing mid-performance.

If you will be performing with it, you should have a full functioning spare fired up ready to go (including cart with duplicated .sav), so either way if you modded it or someone else did the show goes on!

Chicago IL

You should edit the first post and throw a question mark in the topic, I thought you were mad at someone for reasons I couldn't piece together.

UK

Game Boys are pretty hardy bastards, I've yet to break something that a resolder or sticky tape couldn't fix.

You'll feel like a pro engineer. Promise.

PROTODOME wrote:

Game Boys are pretty hardy bastards, I've yet to break something that a resolder or sticky tape couldn't fix.

You'll feel like a pro engineer. Promise.

^This^.  If you are unsure of your modding skills, go to a dollar store and buy a cheap kids toy or keyboard or something.  Desolder a bunch of points then resolder them and see if it still works.  That way you get a little practice.  But even if you don't do that, a backlight and a prosound are both easy.  That will be just 5 solder points on the board.  And if you do it yourself, you'll know how to fix it if it breaks.  If you pay to have it done, and it breaks, you'll be lost.

lolusa

There should not be any shame in paying for good craftsmanship. Just because it's easy, doesn't mean that anyone is a chump. Not everyone was meant to mod gameboys and build midi-controllers.

I say this because I've busted 3 dmg screens in the past #slighted

buffalo, NY

Every DMG I modded ended up failing after a few months. 

Paid for some pro jobs.  Haven't had any problems.

babylon

the only one ive done on my own is an underclocking, and i hear thats the easiest mod to perform. i see no shame in getting someone else to do the hard stuff, especially if your worried about quality. unless money is an issue perhaps you could get a cheap little backlit and sounded gb then start investing in the stuff to start experimenting. im sure almost no one here could tell you their first mods were masterpieces.

Santa Cruz, California

I encourage you to build one yourself.
If you use best practices, your first successful mod will make you feel like you're f**king magic!
My worst problems came from a premodded DMG that I purchased... it was a mess in there.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 14, 2013 10:04 am)

Murcia, Spain

If you know not what you are doing, better leave it for someone who does. I tried to go onto it on my own and found out it's not as easy as it seems. You may not have problems with things like pro-sound and similar mods, but peeling the polarized film when backlightning is a step further... At least for me. Soldering is easy, if you've had previous experience.
If you have money and don't feel like it, I'd say leave it for someone else. You'll get a very nice product and you're making someone else wealthier xD

Detroit, Michigan

Do it yourself, you'll save a ton of money $100 vs $30. Plus once you finish you will feel so accomplished.

United Kingdom
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

I encourage you to build one yourself.
If you use best practices, your first successful mod will make you feel like you're f**king magic!
My worst problems came from a premodded DMG that I purchased... it was a mess in there.

Same thing happened to me.

rochester, ny

i'll help you!

UK, Leicester

I'd go with mod it yourself, not only do you get the satisfaction of knowing that you've done it, you also get the guarantee that if you cock it up, then you'll know how to fix it.

Madriz, Supain

Pay for projobs, diy for shitty shit.

I paid a decent amount of money to Timbob for a glowing painted DMG and I cant ever regret it. I did a shelljob to one used dmg myself and I cant ever regrt it.

Murcia, Spain
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

Pay for projobs, diy for shitty shit.

I paid a decent amount of money to Timbob for a glowing painted DMG and I cant ever regret it. I did a shelljob to one used dmg myself and I cant ever regrt it.

Agree 100%