Chicago, IL

Before I get jumped, I understand that doing a couple simple searches can show me how to do this, but what I am finding isn't really helping.

I am trying to learn how to create a connection between my cartridge (http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/usb-64m-smart-card) and my laptop. I am running Windows 7 64 bit. I have followed these directions (http://www.hkems.com/files/EMSlink/64bi … _Guide.pdf) with no success. I am using a direct USB port. I do not know what else to change. I am not aware of any amendments to these directions.

I am also trying to learn what I would need to do to back up LSDJ songs, upgrade LSDJ software, etc. I had Kitsch Bent flash my cartridges for me (thanks again!) and I am really trying to learn this for myself. Any help is appreciated. Thank you very much.

hi!

i am assuming you have installed the ems_link and stuff on your computer, yes? the smart card should have come with a little cd-rom. or you can download it on the web.

Chicago, IL

Yes I did all that, after I reboot it installs the drivers for a while and then says it was unsuccessful

Last edited by squidula (Feb 15, 2013 2:15 am)

Austin, Texas

I don't have a handy explanation or ready answer, but try this on a computer running Windows XP if at all possible.

The EMS Inter-Link driver doesn't seem to play nice with some newer USB implementations for whatever reason; if you have an old computer with a Windows XP install collecting dusk somewhere, hook it up and give it a shot. You can also try running WinXP in a virtual machine or a separate partition.

I had the same issue,and even though I enabled test mode in the program to install the drivers and things, for the device to be read i've had to manually boot in test mode each time. I don't really understand why, since that shouldn't be anything different, but there it is.

edit:nm, you didn't get the drivers to work at all? I didn't have a problem there..hm.

Last edited by Nxtstep (Feb 15, 2013 2:49 am)

I was having a lot of trouble with this a few weeks ago as well. Had all the right drivers, enabled test mode, followed all the instructions and nothing worked. Then I found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pwjey8ICXQ
It has all the necessary steps in the description so you don't have to sit there and actually watch the painfully long video. Hope this helps!

It's totally doable, I did this yesterday again actually, but yes it is unnecessarily complicated. You need to go to the device manager menu and un install whatever drivers windows tried to install, then manually point it to the folder with the ems drivers, it'll install, then you need to reboot and mash f8 until you get a black screen, choose disable driver reinforcement, Good luck!

Last edited by Zef (Feb 16, 2013 8:11 am)

Chicago, IL

I haven't been home much the past couple days, but while I was out I managed to gather all the necessary parts of a desktop running XP on it! I will hook it all up tonight and try my luck on the relic. Thanks again!

I don't know if this will work for Windows 7, but I recently figured out how to get the 64MB Smart Card to work with Windows 8. Like you, I also had to find a Windows XP systems years ago but maybe this will help getting it to work on Windows 7. But what I had to do was use the driver signing program from Kitsch website to sign the drivers. Afterwards I booted Windows 8 in a mode that disabled the need for signed drivers. Then I plugged in the cart via USB and manually installed the driver. Windows 8 tried to say it wouldn't work, but it works fine.

The same might work for Windows 7, you just have to Google how to the disable signed driver utility.

You don't need to sign the drivers if you're going to use the "allow unsigned driver" mode on Win7,and to access it just mash f8 on boot up (make sure it's a boot, not a session restore, and yes you have to redo it every time you reboot.

BOSTON
Zef wrote:

You don't need to sign the drivers if you're going to use the "allow unsigned driver" mode on Win7,and to access it just mash f8 on boot up (make sure it's a boot, not a session restore, and yes you have to redo it every time you reboot.

def trying this tomorrow. ive been trying to get my damn win7 box to flash EMS for ever. its so bad im getting an old XP machine from Carl P just for backing up, ugh. but bleepbloop carts and smartboy carts work fine. i wish i knew this BEFORE i sold all my BB carts hmm

Yeah  James give it a go and let me know of it doesn't work.