Pittsburgh

Just got a DMG in the mail from the magical land of eBay. It's fully functional, and I'm satisfied with all but one aspect of its condition: the previous owner seems to have glued the screen protector back into place with superglue. A small amount got onto the screen, and a very noticeable amount is on the plastic on the front of the case.

I'll be ordering a replacement screen online soon, but until it gets here, does anyone have any tips for removing the residue without damaging the plastic or gameboy logo?

My camera is being stupid right now, so here's the picture the auction used for it. More around the edges is noticeable in person.

Chicago IL

http://www.ehow.com/how_6383150_remove- … astic.html

The glue is pretty noticeable in the picture but was the condition accurately noted in the listing?

Santa Cruz, California

NAIL POLISH REMOVER
It's what I use to get glue off of my fingers and clean up run-off while I'm building models.
It works quickly and wont damage the plastic.

matt's mind

nail polish remover will totally damage the plastic if it sits too long, or isn't removed totally

nail polish remover = acetone (unless you've used some sort of acetone-free variety).  well, acetone is a main active ingredient at the least

Santa Cruz, California
kitsch wrote:

nail polish remover will totally damage the plastic if it sits too long, or isn't removed totally

nail polish remover = acetone (unless you've used some sort of acetone-free variety).  well, acetone is a main active ingredient at the least

I'll clarify: Acetone free nail polish remover, q-tips, and patience.
Also, you'd basically have leave this thing in a bucket of acetone npr for several hours to do any damage. The acetone in nail polish remover is highly diluted in alcohol, and the PVC that the Gameboy is made out of is specifically formulated to resist corrosive materials... the screen protector on the other hand, may get damaged, but those are cheap and easy to replace.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 22, 2013 7:20 pm)

Teh D3th St4r wrote:

Also, you'd basically have leave this thing in a bucket of acetone npr for several hours to do any damage. The acetone in nail polish remover is highly diluted in alcohol, and the PVC that the Gameboy is made out of is specifically formulated to resist corrosive materials... the screen protector on the other hand, may get damaged, but those are cheap and easy to replace.

The gameboy is ABS, not PVC. Also, nail polish remover is sometimes 100% acetone, and even the diluted kinds can and often will leave marks on plastic very quickly.

London

acetone/nail polish remover melts Atari ST cases if that helps hmm

matt's mind

^^^ your acetone info is wrong, sorry, don't know how to say it nicer.  it will do a bit of damage to the plastic's integrity in a very minimal amount of time...  (which, as Apeshit said, is ABS...  Nintendo added bromine (i believe) to the mix as a fire retardant, which is why it 'yellows', but its nothing special apart from that)

diluted or not, acetone will eat away at the integrity of the plastic, which is why its used in the 'rit dye' mod, for example.  many people do that coloring mod by making their own mix of water:acetone, in 4:1 ratios even and it will work (in minutes)

Santa Cruz, California

There is a difference between reinforcing your argument, and being a dick about being right.
You clearly knew you were being abrasive, you even apologized for it. Just the information would have been sufficient.
Thanks for being just like every other forum troll on the internet.

I distinctly remember saying something about using acetone free polish remover and a Q-tip, so who cares if I was wrong about soaking it for hours?

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 23, 2013 4:50 am)

Teh D3th St4r wrote:

so who cares if I was wrong about soaking it for hours?

You were corrected because people will try it, and people have tried it.

Chicago IL
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

Thanks for being just like every other forum troll on the internet.

Trolls post incorrect facts or unpopular opinions in the hopes of getting people upset at them. Even if these guys were being regular dicks, which they weren't, troll is the wrong word.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with correcting incorrect information, especially if it can end up hurting someone else's gear.

Apeshit wrote:
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

so who cares if I was wrong about soaking it for hours?

You were corrected because people will try it, and people have tried it.

Awesome.
Marshmallowboy!

Pittsburgh

Installed backlight and magic eraser'd some glue off of the inside of the screen protector. Now I know why you should NEVER EVER DO THAT. Protector is ridiculously foggy now, so I need to replace it now more than I did before. I'll post what happens after I get a new screen from Kitsch, but it won't be until restocks of a few other products as well. Thanks for all the suggestions!