Tokyo, Japan

A conversation in IRC about the merits of Milkytracker and FT2 prompted me to wonder if anyone has any preference for one over the other and if so why? I am learning Milky and rather enjoying it. Just curious if there were any specific reasons to choose one over the other?

))<>((

MilkyTracker is cross-platform, and FastTracker2 is DOS (although I suppose it could be run in DOSBox which is cross-platform too). Personally I think Milky would be easier to use (I've never used FT2).

Apparently FT2 and Milky handle vibrato way differently. Other than that it merely comes down to what you're comfortable with/learned first.

Also, FT2 has nibbles smile

New York City

I prefer Milky because of it being cross platform. I can run it in my Mac or PC indistinctly (and my Mac G3 makes a great tracking machine big_smile).

Russia, Moscow

FT2 is not so easy to run on the modern PCs, and DosBox is simply slow. So, if you don't have old enough PC with MS-DOS or Windows 9x, you have to choose from modern trackers. If you've liked FT2, your options are Sk@le or Milky. In my opinion, Milky is more suitable for chip music, because it has sample drawing tool, so you can create all your samples from scratch, instead of ripping from other's modules or generating them in external software.