I didn't really like the available tools out there so I made this for myself.  Added a couple things and figured I'd share in case it could help someone out.  Didn't do a whole lot of troubleshooting so hopefully not too buggy.
It's a windows application using .NET 2.0 framework.

http://www.budmelvin.com/dev/Pic2Tiles.zip

Input files should be indexed bmp, gif or png with 4 colors or fewer, length and width divisible by 8.
Outputs assembly, gbdk or binary format.

Last edited by budmelvin (Feb 27, 2013 5:00 pm)

IL, US

ahh cool... will look at it when i find some time

This will be awesome to use with the graphics ROM NItro recently released. Thanks bud!

Last edited by BlakePalmer (Mar 20, 2018 10:58 pm)

Thanks for trying it out BlakePalmer.
For this inverted problem, the program doesn't automatically do any light to dark sorting so in some cases you might need to assign the colors manually.  I think all you'd have to do is change the pulldowns next to each color so instead of color1, color2, color3, color4, you would do color4,color3,color2,color1.

I've replaced the zip up there with a new one.
The new version will attempt to sort colors lightest to darkest to line up with gameboy classic.
There's also a reverse colors button that will switch it to darkest to lightest which I believe is how NES typically works, to save the time of messing around w/ the pulldowns.

Last edited by BlakePalmer (Mar 20, 2018 10:58 pm)

Sweeeeeeden

I apologize for stealing the thunder, but: http://blog.gg8.se/wordpress/2013/02/19 … -graphics/
My thing is meant to be "easy to use" and outputs a ROM that is ready to use. It also supports multiple images and has a 360 tiles mode. Even though it's currently designed to produce a ROM, it could be modified to output graphics data to be used in your own project.

heh - no apology necessary.  I knew you did an image rom for the weekly thing and it's a cool idea to have the script auto-patch the ROM.  Yours is probably the easiest way I've seen to put a 160x144 image onto gb.

I just made something that works for me, especially figuring out image pallete for gameboy color and easily being able to assign which color is which bit plane in the tile.  Thought I'd put it out there.