I had an SP but didn't like the sound when recording.  Tried to use it for just writing but if the battery died while I was away from a charger, then I was out of luck.  My current equipment is a GB Pocket for writing (unmodded) because it's very mobile and a DMG for recording (prosound now).  I didn't use prosound while recording for a long time but I gave it a try and I personally think there is a sound difference.  But like others have said, try out different units and see what you like best.

france

I use mainly gba sp with ems card for lsdj, nanoloop 1&2.

lSDJ on GBA SP is not really useable with a gba linker IMHO.
I have 5 to 10 dmg and for me DMG are cool if they are moded, they look great like an old car.
They don't have better sound than SP they have different sound.
DMG need to have pro sound if you like to use with mixer.
SP don't need prosound mod.

They don't sound exactly the same and I like that, there is no "better" sound.
Some GB make some pshiiiiii sound and they are not useable easilly with headphone or mixer.

Both SP and DMG are the best model IMO.
They both sound good, but for me DMG need backit and pro sound.
Choose your weapon.

Brazil

I like myself some of the good old DMG, but as everyone said you shouldn't worry.

Using the DMG is not about being 1337, but it's really cheap, reliable and powerful.
The GBC is really useful too, but don't worry about the Gameboy Light, it sucks.

IL, US
yoyz2k wrote:

DMG need to have pro sound if you like to use with mixer.

incorrect..
pretty much all a prosound mod does is increase your signal to noise ratio...never really necessary (unless maybe you're also using other instruments that have very high output levels, i always used one with my electribe esx-1 since that thing was loud as hell)...you can always do noise reduction in post-production or use a hardware noise gate of any sort (i have a behringer autocomp pro xl that i keep around for this reason)

france

Maybe you're right on pro sound and mixer, I don't know.
What I try to say, I have try many DMG on my mixer with standard stuidio stuff : MPC, electribe and drumstation.
There is allways a pshiiiiii or brrrrrrrr, some kind of noise which is not my tasteat all.
I don't have any noise gate in my audio stuff.

SP does not seem to have this issue of brrrrrr, pshiiii.
Pro sound DMG seem to have less issue on this mixer, maybe the pro sound increase the sound enough and my mixer does not amp too much noise...
I may be wrong, it's what I feel listening to my mixer.

I've got a zero 8 mixer which are known to be bad amp and a little noisy.

IL, US

try using software based noise reduction then, make sure to record a few seconds of just that noise before and after each track (the noise reduction i use requires this to sample it and accurately remove it from the rest of the audio)