Unsubscribe

http://www.korg.com/monotron

# Full-fledged, true analog synthesizer: VCO, VCF, LFO
# Inspiring, easy-to-play ribbon keyboard
# Intuitive, fun-to-tweak controls
# Features the same classic analog filter found in the legendary Korg MS-10 & MS-20
# Filter any external source using the audio input jack
# LFO can modulate either pitch of filter cutoff
# LFO Rate knob features cool LED visual indicator.
# Battery operation and palmtop size equals true portability
# Internal speaker/headphone jack lets you enjoy the sound anywhere – alone or with friends!

☺☺☺

would be cool with cv-in, but a single octave of keys seems impractical for such a supposed-powerful synth.

looks like you would need to play the keyboard with your pinky tongue

Unsubscribe

The cool thing its an analog korg filter for $99.

I read some where that it will be available for about $67 in may.

East Kilbride, Scotland

Most places are saying 50 Euros, which is pretty bloody good.

Earthling

This looks great. Cool thing about this kind of thing is they are very easily moddable. I reckon you could add more octaves to it by modding it with an external keyboard. I think we'll be seeing heavily modified Monotrons in a similar vein to what happened to the Gakken Synth

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

yeah. i'd add CV/Gate input for the VCO, CV LFO, and CV VCF... hell.. i'll just rehouse the damn thing and make it as modular as possible. :-D

Only problem is i bet it's surface mount. Which makes for great fun when modifying.
I'll pick one up when it's available.

is it midi ready?... after looking. nope.

what is it with companies making these toys as of late? have musicianship really gone that far down the tubes?
People will literally buy this for the VCF and use it as a cheap MS-20 style filter box. haha

ah well.
i'll still buy one cuz i'm a sucker for opening things up and messing with it.
and at $69-100 i wont feel bad if i destroy it.

The ribbon controller aspect yields good news for hackers.. as thats a resistor network based method of controlling pitch, which makes for easy addition of CV or just for rehousing and making a simple resistor latter network for a keyboard.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

HOLY CRAP THAT THING IS SMALL.... A REHOUSING JOB IS A MUST IF IT GETS HACKED.
Now to go and buy one.

Eugene, OR

wow I didn't realize it was so small.  Definitely looks cool though.  I can't wait to see some modded versions.

Austin, TX

Would be cool if it had 2 octaves.
Seems like kind of a toy, but kind of want.

☺☺☺

god that is wayyyyy smaller than i thought it would be (based on the photo)

New York City

It looks like the Gakken SX150 but less hackable and more expensive.
Piece of shit!

Unsubscribe

Yea but the gakken doesnt have a ms-20 filter.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
akira^8GB wrote:

It looks like the Gakken SX150 but less hackable and more expensive.
Piece of shit!

the Gakken is a piece of shit.. it's a crappy plastic cased, little crap sound generator. cool for a first time builder.. but as a usable
good sounding synth.. hell no.. now. if this Monotron is in fact the MS-10/20 filter, then it's worth it just for the filter. Those filters were kick ass.

I'm 98% positive it's SMT, but it's still hackable, you just have to know what you're doing to hack it. no biggy wink haha

as for the price... depends on how you look at it..

As a stock usable musical synthesizer... it's a waist of money. As a great sounding ms-20, pocket sized filter, it's a great deal.

And for those who know a little on how electronics work this thing is a fun little toy to hack for the money,

And for those who know more than they should about electronics.... it's probably more $$ than what it's worth if you start adding up the parts needed to make it. hahaha

anyways. it will be interesting to see what's under it's hood. i'lll document it as much as possible once i get my hands on one.

England

seems like it might be rather limited in terms of sounds it can create.

asdr?
oscillators for different wave forms?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
Jellica wrote:

seems like it might be rather limited in terms of sounds it can create.

asdr?
oscillators for different wave forms?

again.. that's TBD until we see what's under the hood. :-D

I think the best approach to it as of right now is to view it as a pocket sized $100 MS-20 LP filter. :-D