Taichung, Taiwan

-Stock Gameboy
-LSDJ/Nanoloop/Other music trackers

Only things that are necessary.

babylon
danimal cannon wrote:

The wave channel play a C1, (even though it's listed as a C2) which is 32.70hz...

32hz is below what 95% of speakers can reproduce, you'd need a sub to hear it. (and a lot of subs bottom out at 35-40hz) Go ahead, program a sine wave at lowest C on the wave channel, all you'll hear is a faint overtone unless you have an incredibly ranged system, which is probably just an artifact from the 4bit waveform sampling. 

What does this mean?  Nobody ever should need an underclocked gameboy.  For what you lose in processing power, you gain an octave you don't need. 

Just my 2 cents

right, but an underclocked gameboy makes it so your not dependent on the wav channel for bass. theres a lot to work around to get that one benefit but i think its worth it if you have the patience.

England

i like my pitch mod with the wav channel drum samples to speed them up.

Unsubscribe
walter b. gentle wrote:

really? huh. ive played whole sets with an underclocked gameboy. i think they're  the bees knees.

edit:grammar

I never seen you play!

The one thing its good for is you can really hear notes clashing on fast sequences at slow speeds.

Dublin, Ireland
danimal cannon wrote:

The wave channel play a C1, (even though it's listed as a C2) which is 32.70hz...

32hz is below what 95% of speakers can reproduce, you'd need a sub to hear it. (and a lot of subs bottom out at 35-40hz) Go ahead, program a sine wave at lowest C on the wave channel, all you'll hear is a faint overtone unless you have an incredibly ranged system, which is probably just an artifact from the 4bit waveform sampling. 

What does this mean?  Nobody ever should need an underclocked gameboy.  For what you lose in processing power, you gain an octave you don't need. 

Just my 2 cents

Well, I'd be looking for a sub-bass. Although I'd be playing mostly around G1-A1 (49-55Hz) which tends to have quite a nice resonance, and the hope is that the system will have decent sub-capabilities, which is not an unreasonable expectation, in the UK and Ireland at least (I think, I've only my limited experience to go with on that). It will also bring down the pulse channels, which could be of use.

However the drop in processing power is a pretty big trade-off especially if it's you're purely working 1xLSDJ. Also I'm not entirely sure I like the tone achieved by an underclocked WAV bass.

Might be more inclined towards an external synth for sub reinforcement or the addition in software for the end production.
Still trying to figure out it's worth to be honest.

Last edited by iNFOTOXIN (Mar 14, 2013 8:01 pm)

buffalo, NY
iNFOTOXIN wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

Just my 2 cents

Well, I'd be looking for a sub-bass. Although I'd be playing mostly around G1-A1 (49-55Hz) which tends to have quite a nice resonance, and the hope is that the system will have decent sub-capabilities, which is not an unreasonable expectation, in the UK and Ireland at least (I think, I've only my limited experience to go with on that). It will also bring down the pulse channels, which could be of use.

However the drop in processing power is a pretty big trade-off especially if it's you're purely working 1xLSDJ. Also I'm not entirely sure I like the tone achieved by an underclocked WAV bass.

Might be more inclined towards an external synth for sub reinforcement or the addition in software for the end production.
Still trying to figure out it's worth to be honest.

I'm sure you can achieve some cool sounds with an underclocked GB but for my personal style, the negatives highly outweigh the benefits.

washington

henry homesweet used (and may or may not still use) a headlamp onstage for visibility
it's kind of ridiculous, but it works.

Whatever, we all know a backlight and prosound is well worth the hassle.
Essential or not, they're very nice features that does not cost a lot of money or time.

Last edited by _-_- (Mar 14, 2013 10:42 pm)

clovis CA
basspuddle wrote:

henry homesweet used (and may or may not still use) a headlamp onstage for visibility
it's kind of ridiculous, but it works.

the dude from animal collective does this too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDuCjiyXK6I
EDIT: better song =]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzVOpJGW9bg

Last edited by Alley Beach (Mar 15, 2013 1:06 am)

washington

^that's pretty indie rock.

on a side note, the only show I've ever played was in my friend's garage, and I wore a headlamp then.

Philthydelphia

essential or not, I personally just use backlight and internal prosound. Other than that, I personally haven't found any other reason to have any other major modifications on my DMG. Everything else I plan on achieving I'll achieve with external accessories (kaoss pad, mixer, etc.)

Brazil

Droid-on uses a headlight here too, but me and pulselooper use backlight, which for me is pretty essential.

Douglas, Wyoming
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

Gameboy cup holder though. Can't live without that shit.

/thread

An essential mod is one that helps to enhance your performance options, enhance your workflow, actively allow you to expand your musical expression, or free up other resources that you need. Every mod I have does (at least) one of those things, and every mod I don't use won't meet those three requirements. That's just how I operate, however.

Last edited by thebitman (Mar 15, 2013 3:17 pm)

Philthydelphia
thebitman wrote:

An essential mod is one that helps to enhance your performance options, enhance your workflow, actively allow you to expand your musical expression, or free up other resources that you need. Every mod I have does (at least) one of those things, and every mod I don't use won't meet those three requirements. That's just how I operate, however.

This is pretty much the most all-inclusive answer one could have to this question. Each person's workflow is different from the next so their needs are different. What's the point of having an underclocking switch, distortion switch, or pitch bend if you aren't even going to use them?
None. Don't bother wasting time and money installing pieces of equipment that you'll never use.