So I find myself sometimes in the need of removing stickers in a non destructive manner, to be able to re-apply them.

Maybe you want to dye your DMG, and still want the serial number sticker intact.
By using this method you will not crumble any corners, and the glue will still stick.
You can even use this method on security stickers like Windows serial stickers, without them breaking.
I have used this method with a laptop with a windows serial sticker, that was checked by an anti-pirating group. They did not notice that the sticker had been removed from another laptop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewFCpuEnIAs

You need:

A prefferably new exacto knife.
A hot air gun.
Tweezers are optional.

Step one:

Prepare your sticker by heating it with the hot air gun. Be carefull not to overheat it. Both the sticker and the casing can be damaged during this step. Practice first on a non important item.

Step two:

Insert the exacto blade under the sticker in one corner. Maybe you need to heat the sticker while doing this if the glue is getting cold. SLOWLY peel off the sticker.
You MUST wait till the sticker is heated enough and the glue lets go. Otherwise you will get crumbling in the corner you start peeling off. Larger stickers may need gradual heating while you remove the sticker. This apply to windows serial stickers and the like.

Step three:

Place the sticker on some sticker paper, or plastic sheet till you need to re-apply it.

Step four:

Remove the sticker from the sticker paper paper, and apply it in the desired spot. Momentarely heat the sticker and apply pressure to make the glue set the best possible way, and keep pressure on it till the sticker is cold. Now the glue has set and your done!

Last edited by Glitch Militia (Mar 14, 2013 11:39 pm)

washington

thanks, this is awesome!

Video link added! Check it out. This is EASY people!

I liked your detailed review and approach to removing stickers and decals. I always take a keen interest as my job is removing decals and stickers so always interested in different ideas

If you ever need help of removing stickers from other surfaces, I have put together some video demonstrations at www.decalstickerremover.com they may help

Keep up the good work

Regards,
Peter

Crazy that you can sustain a business only dealing with decal removal!

That's good information for removing the stickers. Usually people destroy the surface or make the adhesive useless. I like this idea.

sticker printing london