Orange County,CA /Las Vegas NV

I use fl studio to record. With a 3.5 jack hooked to my gbp to my microphone jack in the computer, I get a lot of noise in the background, how can I reduce this without the manual labor. help greatly accepted smile

Gosford, Australia

gbp is just more noisy in general.
you can remove it from the "silent" parts with a noise gate (fruity limiter has a gate function built in), or if you're feeling adventurous you can try the phase inversion method detailed in this thread http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6976/ … inversion/ - the latter option is a lot more work but the results are much much better.

#radelaide

or: learn to stop worrying and love the noise

Montreal, Canada

1) I assume you're taking the headphone output of the GB and plugging it into the Mic input of the computer, and that's a big part of your problem. Headphone outputs are already amplified, and you're putting it in an input that has a cheap pre-amp on it. Use the Line input.

2) Put the GB's volume to the maximum, that will make the signal much louder than the noise.

3) If you want to nitpick, plug in the gameboy, volume to the max. Then monitor the input and apply a noise gate. Move the threshold up until it cuts the noise. Then test it out with music, and adjust it if it cuts off some of the music.

4) Use a noise reduction plugin. Record some noise, empty of music, and use that to make an image of your noise. Then you use that to filter out this noise print from a recording. Don't go too crazy with it or it will also remove a lot of the music.

5) Noise is part of any recording. You can fight it, but there will always be a bit of it. The GB has a crappy amp and crappy DAC. Same thing with the built-in soundcard of any computer. Crappy DACs. Your signal goes from Digital to Analog in the gameboy, then from Analog to Digital again in the soundcard. Crappy pieces at these points will always add noise. You can alleviate the problem by getting a decent soundcard with good DACs.

In your case most of the noise comes from the gameboy. And using the Mic instead of Line input doesn't help at all.

Chicago

I was hoping you meant recording noise as a genre. We need more chiptune noise.

Les Incoiffables wrote:

or: learn to stop worrying and love the noise

thank you noobstar. it helped a lot. and well Les Incoiffables we all have our own style. I prefer to have less noise because I record my noise tracks after. So it makes the sound more crisp. I like noise too, just not from my crappy soundcard smile

Maine

another thing is sometimes windows 7 has something called microphone boost turning that off or to 0 can help

heres my settings for recording

TheBronyChip wrote:

another thing is sometimes windows 7 has something called microphone boost turning that off or to 0 can help

You helped the msot actually! lol it was that the whole time

Maine

yea most of the noise problems with laptop sound cards is that setting

Montreal, Canada

Still, try the line input! There's no need for double amplification  smile

n00bstar wrote:

Still, try the line input! There's no need for double amplification  smile

thank you it works like a charm!

Another idea is that Audacity has a built-in noise removal tool. If you're recording a simple track and you don't want to mix, I recommend Audacity.

Last edited by Jolly (Mar 18, 2013 12:38 am)

Abandoned on Fire

Blatant self advertising: the PISSbox device me and kitsch designed really makes a world of difference when recording any lofi stereo source, search for it in kitsch-bent for some examples.

Here it is -> http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/pissbox

Last edited by egr (Mar 18, 2013 2:38 am)

#radelaide
Cuddle Television wrote:

thank you noobstar. it helped a lot. and well Les Incoiffables we all have our own style. I prefer to have less noise because I record my noise tracks after. So it makes the sound more crisp. I like noise too, just not from my crappy soundcard smile

Yeah, no,  I was thinking just your typical Game Boy noise. Through the mic input you would have been having altogether too much noise.

Last edited by Les Incoiffables (Mar 18, 2013 3:44 am)

Les Incoiffables wrote:
Cuddle Television wrote:

Yeah, no,  I was thinking just your typical Game Boy noise. Through the mic input you would have been having altogether too much noise.

smile I get you, Yeah thats what im wanting, like the rawness, but where its uninterrupted by a shitty setup of mine tongue

TheBronyChip wrote:

nice settings man thank you