A gray world of dread

After watching gijs' self-playing gameboy, I thought I'd make a thread and ask if there is a big enough interest here in creating a generative music compo.

- Software / hardware doesn't matter, as long as most elements are algorithmically created and it's kept chippy

- I think using data of something stylish (weather data of the last 7 years, a picture file, your mom's weight table etc) as random input seed would be more interesting than just white noise

So, anybody interested?

Received:
the mist toggles
Subterrestrial
pXtR
Decktonic

Last edited by µB (Aug 4, 2010 5:42 pm)

Ohio

Interesting, I was just getting ready to put together the 4ms Autonomous Bassline Generator. I might give it a shot.  I could use the ABG or Cell DS.

Nomad's Land

i'd definately be interested.
not sure about the choice of hard/software yet, i have a couple of ideas in mind though. i remember there was a tool that could convert dna information into midi. also i've seen a number of auto-composing softwares recently.
anyway, put me down for a track.

Tacoma WA

i'm down

i was playing with gltich sequencer and audiomulch awhile back and have some more ideas..

ad-hell-aide

im in

A gray world of dread

Sweet! If this happens, I think it would be cool to have a small description with every track that gives some info on the translation algorithm/setup used.

Abandoned on Fire

Hmmm... maybe a good time to bust out the TRS-80 and write some basic that abuses the "random" function?

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

im trying to convert cryptographic algorithms to music naow...
so far it all sounds horrible! lulz! but i keep trying ;P

BOSTON

i've seen whole "sets" of generative/procedural music from vickysbooties in his live show, ill fwd him this.

awesome idea for a comp, btw

uhajdafdfdfa

Me too!

Cambridge, MA

You do mean procedural and not just random right? smile I might bend the criteria for my java assignment and do this...

A gray world of dread

Well, the level of randomness depends on the seed and the level of abstraction your algorithm will provide. I'm not placing any hard restrictions on that, but I guess we'll want a little more than x = rnd(); play(x); wink

Last edited by µB (Mar 31, 2010 9:10 am)

NorthTtrrrway

would you be interested in cgMusic->mGB?

A gray world of dread

Alright, first submission is in! Get your gear crunching, everyone!

sweden

I might make something for this one smile

The Hollow Earth

Very interesting, I have a 3.5" floppy of generative chiptune music that is going to be released soon on Diskette Etikette Rekords and I just posted a track from it here in the music section. I would be more than willing to contribute a new, original track to this compilation. Is it still on?