South Korea

As someone who is only getting into creating chipmusic, the community, especially on this website, seems very negative and unfriendly, especially to newcomers. Some people on here have been very kind and helpful, but I've read some very elitist, dicky comments from some 'established' members of the community. Seriously, were you NEVER a noob and had a metric shitton of dumb questions? How badass do you REALLY think you are when you are being an asshole while holding a children's toy?
Is this whole chiptune thing not supposed to be about fun and building a positive scene, I mean, shit, if you want attitudes and capitalist elitism why not just write power-ballads, get played on the radio, get paid, do copious amounts of blow, get an STD and play stadiums.
PLEASE bring back the lols and grouphugs.

That's my little rant, now dissect it and tell me what a noob/idiot/dickhead I am.
Peace

sheesh it isn't that bad
and welcome

You're going to find unfriendly people on every forum. I'm pretty new in this scene as well. So far, I've had a pleasant experience on this site. There is no such thing as a "positive" scene. You have to take the good with the bad. Just step out, get involved, and meet some cool people. Yeah, someone is going to probably make fun of you but you will be making good friends and networking with dope artists. In the end, that's all you can ask out of a community of people. Also, this is just my opinion. I could be wrong about everything.

p.s. I'm so down for a lulz and grouphug session wink

shanghai

never get these threads. i see a fuck ton of people answering retarded questions politely on here. no-one forbids being a 'noob' or needing to ask questions some thing are stooopid.....but the majority of stuff like 'ow can make an lsdj' could just be googled. and there is also a ton of 'listen to my new album of unce i made in 8 minutes since i bought my gameboy 11 mins ago'. there seems to be plenty of legit discussion here, plenty off good cc, encouragement, there's just a lot of people asking dumb shit about gameboys all the time too. somedays we have our periods and like to be assholes. ps we was never a NOOB.

shanghai

holy shit that typing. sorry - missed a days sleep this weekend. travelling on a 6am train after a show in china is NOT GOOD SLEEPY FUN

Tokyo, Japan
DeerPresident wrote:

That's my little rant, now dissect it and tell me what a noob/idiot/dickhead I am.
Peace

You aren't wrong perse but I dont think there is a lot of a negativity really, its a forum, people disagree all the time, sometimes it gets a bit more vociferous as in the last day or two. Forums (and most other groups for that matter) take a while to warm up to new members.

I would suggest flying out to Tokyo and attending a show or two. That will show you a super positive site to the community!

hiding under your bed

You're a noob/idiot/dickhead and we all hate you.
Noseriously, welcome to the forums, man.
There are a few members who tend to stand out as being elitist jerks, but a lot of us are just here for the music, fun, lolz, etc.
Most of the time what people see as hatred is a joke, anyway. Sarcasm/satire/inside jokes and the like.
While we could stand to improve our manners a bit, I believe that because most of the community is made up of people in their early 20s and up, the consensus is somewhere along the lines of "we're all mature adults and we can do whatever the hell we want to so either stfu or gtfo gosh mom I'm like 21 I can do what I want."
You kinda learn to either tolerate it or just tune it all out after a while.

DeerPresident wrote:

why not just write power-ballads, get played on the radio, get paid, do copious amounts of blow, get an STD and play stadiums.

but that's too harrrrrrrrrrrrrd

DeerPresident wrote:

It's okay son, we still love you.
Come 'ere, you.

los angeles

:`(

Santa Cruz, California

I'm always helpful... but I do have a noisy Bullshit Alarm.

Not gonna lie, I'm only 2 months old here, and only been making my own music for about 6 weeks (I think... FACT CHECK) but I haven't had any problems except for 2 or 3 people being assholes, and those kinds of people are easy to brush off. I encourage everyone to ask questions, but you really need to research and hunt down an answer before starting a new thread.

I made it through n00berty™ pretty much unscathed because I did all of my own research, asked reasonable questions in threads that already existed, haven't posted any of my music yet (because it still sounds like shit)... oh yeah, and I build awesome shit.

Montreal, Canada

I kinda share your opinion. Been a member for a few weeks now and I find the community to be...weird. Very little constructive conversation so far from what I've seen, discussions mostly go one way with everybody agreeing on the same things for 8 pages, or calling others jerks when they express a dissenting opinion. Maybe I just joined at a bad time...dunno. Maybe I'm way the hell too old for a community that seems to be made mostly of late teens and early twenty-somethings. Or yknow.. maybe I'm just an asshole big_smile

Just do like I do... say what you want to say, and have nary a care for what others think of you smile

South Korea

lol n00bstar, I also thought I might be to old for this shit, then I remembered Glomag(one of my fave composers)...
We just have to fight the elitism, fight the power, fuck the police and have ourselves an old-school riot (wheelchairs and walking canes FTW!!)
Thanks everyone, my faith in this site has been restored.

shanghai
n00bstar wrote:

Maybe I just joined at a bad time...dunno. Maybe I'm way the hell too old for a community that seems to be made mostly of late teens and early twenty-somethings. Or yknow.. maybe I'm just an asshole big_smile

i think thats the opposite man, most of the people i know on here - we are all closer or past 30 than to being a teenager. Thats why we hate on the gameboy thangs in jest - because we were alive when atari st's were cutting edge lol
also your name sets you up for abuse so you sort of deserve a fair bit of hassle : P

Montreal, Canada

But yeah... I just stay away from the negative threads. Once I see one is going to go to hell, I don't even read it anymore... like that 8 page trainwreck that got closed recently.

Montreal, Canada
Downstate wrote:

i think thats the opposite man, most of the people i know on here - we are all closer or past 30 than to being a teenager. Thats why we hate on the gameboy thangs in jest - because we were alive when atari st's were cutting edge lol
also your name sets you up for abuse so you sort of deserve a fair bit of hassle : P

But I am a noob! I just started making music last week. I can't even tell a piano from a guitar.

Douglas, Wyoming
DeerPresident wrote:

As someone who is only getting into creating chipmusic, the community, especially on this website, seems very negative and unfriendly, especially to newcomers. Some people on here have been very kind and helpful, but I've read some very elitist, dicky comments from some 'established' members of the community. Seriously, were you NEVER a noob and had a metric shitton of dumb questions? How badass do you REALLY think you are when you are being an asshole while holding a children's toy?
Is this whole chiptune thing not supposed to be about fun and building a positive scene, I mean, shit, if you want attitudes and capitalist elitism why not just write power-ballads, get played on the radio, get paid, do copious amounts of blow, get an STD and play stadiums.

Peace

There are a few curmudgeons but the majority of people here are pretty nice. Sometimes they are a little rude, but hey who isn't?

vancouver, canada

i've been part of certain music communities where where everyone is really positive and welcoming, and you know what?  those places are the most boring and flavourless places to hang out in my opinion.

yes there's the politeness and aversion to conflict (the stuff that the thinner-skinned and humourless types clamor for), but then the community gets robbed of passion/conviction/personality.  not only that, but everyone ends up being yes-men to each other, where forgettable music gets a Free Pass.  i personally don't believe that's an environment that's helpful to me.

i mean that might be enough for the people who just want to have a friendly community, but for the people who are seriously invested in the advancement and perfection of their craft there comes a point where you would just rather have to deal with the truly ambitious people who may have different philosophies on how they want to treat others / be treated.

also: i don't think it's healthy for newcomers to just assume the chip scene is "welcoming and inviting" as if it's unconditionally tolerant of mediocrity or immaturity.  i think the welcoming aspect is merely the BYPRODUCT of its devoted members being incredibly passionate about creating this form of music, and the generous recognition of others who share a passion for being makers and purveyors of well-made music.