Pittsburgh

I'm thinking of paying a friend of mine to paint a spare DMG case I have laying around, due to her artistic skills and my lack thereof. The plan is to give it some sort of weathered sheet metal look. I won't give all of the plan because I plan to put pics up here when its done (-:

My question is: what kind of protective coating should I use on it when its done? I feel like if I'm paying someone to do it, I certainly don't want the entire design to just scratch off. Any specific sprays you guys recommend/other methods of protection?

No Krylon!

Pittsburgh

Noted. Any suggestions of coatings I SHOULD use?

Montreal, Canada

That will do just fine. Paint won't ever scratch off.

Santa Cruz, California

I recommend a Duplicolor 2k lacquer clear coat.
It wont wrinkle the paint.

Side Note: Lacquer is a finicky bitch, go watch some tutorials on youtube for good techniques... I haven't filmed one yet.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Mar 26, 2013 12:13 am)

Bothell, Washington
nerdsome wrote:

No Krylon!

Seconded. I had a horrible time with krylon.

I usually use Montana to paint my gameboys, with Montana spray-on clear coat.

If you use different kinds of paint, the save idea is to use acrylic based clear coat.
Belton is also a good one.

Santa Cruz, California
Timbob wrote:

I usually use Montana to paint my gameboys, with Montana spray-on clear coat.

If you use different kinds of paint, the save idea is to use acrylic based clear coat.
Belton is also a good one.

Montana Gold doesn't have that great of adhesion to plastic. Drop your DMG once, and it will start chipping out from there... also Montana acrylic clear is formulated specifically for Montana Gold colors, and if you try to use it on other paints, there's a good chance you'll wrinkle the finish. I know for a fact it'll mess up Krylon, Rust-oleum, and Duplicolor.

That being said, Montana gold has a BRILLIANT selection of colors, it dries incredibly fast, has solid coverage, doesn't run (unless you want it to) and will hold up (fairly well) on plastic if you lay down a coat of Rust-oleum Painters Touch primer.

I still stand behind the lacquer finish though, that shit's like armor plating.

I always use the Montana mtn94 series. Matte paint. Dries quickly, and never had it chip off.

Santa Cruz, California
Timbob wrote:

I always use the Montana mtn94 series. Matte paint. Dries quickly, and never had it chip off.

Can I have a product #? I'd love to try it out.