Hi there guys! Looking for some help!

I am trying to install the v4 Envy Sapphire Backlight to my Gameboy DMG.

I followed the http://www.nonelectronics.com/tutorials/tutorialsmt.pdf but still haven't had success.

Result (see 2nd image) It lights up just fine sound works but I just cant see anything - screen is a black block and adjusting the contract button has
no affect. Where have I gone wrong?

Thoughts / Advice desperately required!!

Santa Cruz, California

Flip over the polarizing film/lens... or put it behind the glass, because it looks like you have it sitting on top.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Mar 26, 2013 7:29 am)

Taichung, Taiwan

^ What he said.

Also, rotate the panel.  The wires should be coming out the bottom, not the left side.

Santa Cruz, California
nerdsome wrote:

Also, rotate the panel.  The wires should be coming out the bottom, not the left side.

Really? I'm pretty sure the envy mounted horizontally.

Teh D3th St4r wrote:
nerdsome wrote:

Really? I'm pretty sure the envy mounted horizontally.

Ok, maybe I'm wrong.  I'm thinking of the apeshit panels.  Those mount with the wires on the bottom...

Santa Cruz, California
nerdsome wrote:

Ok, maybe I'm wrong.  I'm thinking of the apeshit panels.  Those mount with the wires on the bottom...

Yeah man. I love those panels. Easy install, nice even lighting, and the only problem I ever have with them is the pressure spots in the bottom corners of the screen.

Santa Cruz, California

Didn't even know you could still get the envy...

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Mar 26, 2013 5:10 pm)

Teh D3th St4r wrote:

Yeah man. I love those panels. Easy install, nice even lighting, and the only problem I ever have with them is the pressure spots in the bottom corners of the screen.

There shouldn't be any pressure points, they're too thin to add any pressure on the LCD. Have you had this problem more than once?

SLC, UT

I also have had this problem. Just right at the bottom I get a steady pressure point all along.

EDIT PIC:

I do have to say I was sort of blown away when I put this in an turned it on. It looks absolutely amazing!

Last edited by stargazer (Mar 26, 2013 5:55 pm)

Santa Cruz, California

Out of the 6 I've purchased 2 of them had the pressure points. Look at the photos of my Fallout Boy, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
I fixed it by removing the rubber strip at the base of the screen that keeps pressure on the ribbon strip.

Teh D3th St4r wrote:

Out of the 6 I've purchased 2 of them had the pressure points. Look at the photos of my Fallout Boy, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
I fixed it by removing the rubber strip at the base of the screen that keeps pressure on the ribbon strip.

I can only think of a couple things that can cause that. Misaligned polarized film, or the LCD housing not being cut. Shouldn't be an issue, they don't lift the LCD higher than the foam that's removed, and they're also the thinnest gameboy backlights, excluding EL backlights.

Apeshit wrote:
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

I can only think of a couple things that can cause that. Misaligned polarized film, or the LCD housing not being cut. Shouldn't be an issue, they don't lift the LCD higher than the foam that's removed, and they're also the thinnest gameboy backlights, excluding EL backlights.

I don't think I've had any pressure problems with these yet...  But speaking of EL backlights, anybody gonna do those again or are they gone for good?  Wouldn't mind putting one in my GB Pocket just to make it look like a GB Light.

matt's mind

am doing, PCBs just aren't finished yet.  nearly, then a little work on them i need to do, then all done.

sorry hmm

and installed in a pocket, they look pretty spot on to a light.  someone sent me pics, if i can find them i'll post them, but it looks sort of awesome tbh.  i don't keep pockets around and up to that point had only tested supplying power and not installed one.  its nice when people send in photos like that, hinthinthint

won't be too long on the el stuff

kitsch wrote:

am doing, PCBs just aren't finished yet.  nearly, then a little work on them i need to do, then all done.

sorry hmm

and installed in a pocket, they look pretty spot on to a light.  someone sent me pics, if i can find them i'll post them, but it looks sort of awesome tbh.  i don't keep pockets around and up to that point had only tested supplying power and not installed one.  its nice when people send in photos like that, hinthinthint

won't be too long on the el stuff

Nice!  I have a pocket I use every single day that I'll put one in!  Can't wait.

Santa Cruz, California
Apeshit wrote:
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

That's what I figured, that's why I never complained about it. Not a big deal, and it's nothing I couldn't take care of in a few seconds.
I love your backlights... and I'm actually going to be ordering a few more this evening.