Camden, London

Services like Spotify get their music from major labels such as Sony, EMI, Universal etc.. However they also collect tracks from digital aggregation services such as THESE, now I was wondering if anybody here has any experience using these types of services? I see cdbaby has a Chiptune genre and artists such as 8bitweapon have signed up (presumably) So this means their music is available on iTunes, Napster etc etc... Presumably for a price, of course. (I mean, I've nothing against people making royalties from their work). I wonder if there are legal implications or small print terms that inhibit these artists from releasing these tracks for free? Furthermore, is it even worth the money tosign up for these services?

Discuss...

Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

I've used TuneCore and CD Baby (for my band not my chip music) and both have worked out great. You retain all the rights so there is nothing to stop you from releasing your music for free after submitting through these companies, or even selling through other avenues.

Camden, London
MicroD wrote:

I've used TuneCore and CD Baby (for my band not my chip music) and both have worked out great. You retain all the rights so there is nothing to stop you from releasing your music for free after submitting through these companies, or even selling through other avenues.

Wow, that's pretty good, especially if the tracks are available for a while, plus you can link to iTunes from music videos on Youtube.
(ps what's your band!!?) smile

Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

My band's name is Automorrow. Here are some links;
Automorrow Official Website
Automorrow on YouTube

Good luck if you decide to submit to an aggregrator!

Brunswick, GA USA

I would like to publicly thank the people that have purchased of my music.

I do not advertise this unless asked but I made one album on cdbaby/iTunes/Amazon simply because I wanted to ensure that I have music available in every place that someone may look for it.  (That is, I know people that refuse to get music from anywhere except iTunes, etc.)  CDBaby have you sign over a non-exclusive right to distribute your music digitally, but since it is non-exclusive, you retain the right to have others distribute your music as well.  It becomes your responsibility to avoid redundancy and not six different companies $30 a year to have your stuff all carried in the same store anyway.

To illustrate:
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/chunter
http://www.amazon.com/Release-Zero/dp/B … amp;sr=8-1
http://www.archive.org/details/cedtm-000

...and it's in iTunes, Spotify, the Nokia/Ovi Music Store, Lala, rhapsody, tradebit, last.fm, Napster,...  I'm sure I missed a service here or there.

San Luis Obispo, CA

Really happy to see chip musicians taking interest in companies like CD Baby. I have a friend who works there, who happens to be a chip music fanatic. Let me know if you have any specific questions!  big_smile

Camden, London

@Crystal Labs
Really? ha small world right? It looks like cdbaby is the way to go then (possible preferential treatment for chipmusicians! haha) But also my friend who is a singer/ songwriter is going to use them sometime soon, she's a geocaching fanatic which brings me to...
@chunter
well i guess you'd have to agree to let them sell it since that's what you want them to do but it's great you retain all the freedom, and i can't believe how well distributed your album is! I suppose more than anything it looks good to be well distributed, means you can whack tons of links on the myspace as I intend to do!
&@MicroD
I'll check out tunecore btw, oh and nice band website! really comprehensive and neat.

Crystal Labs wrote:

Really happy to see chip musicians taking interest in companies like CD Baby. I have a friend who works there, who happens to be a chip music fanatic. Let me know if you have any specific questions!  big_smile

possible to get music on services like spotify without selling the audio?

New York City

Thanks for this information, I will consider it for my following releases!

Nashville, Tennessee

tunecore works great for itunes,i've used it for years, never a hitch!

San Luis Obispo, CA
Flopps wrote:
Crystal Labs wrote:

possible to get music on services like spotify without selling the audio?

Not a typical request from the average CD Baby artist, but I think a work around would make it an option. This is probably one of the major advantages to Tunecore (being able to get your music into the world without charging people who want to hear your music). My email is in my profile, you should totally contact me if you have further questions.

Anyone else interested in digital distibution should shoot me an email. Chip musicians get preferential treatment at CD Baby, to confirm 57's speculation.

Camden, London

@ Crystal Labs:
Excellent! All I have to do is finish my album and... think of a name to perform under! suggestions?

San Luis Obispo, CA
57 wrote:

@ Crystal Labs:
Excellent! All I have to do is finish my album and... think of a name to perform under! suggestions?

57 Cent if its a rap album. smile