So I have been having some difficulty getting the word out about my music that I have been releasing, and my Bandcamp site. Anyone have any recommendations on how to get some hype going? If there is already a thread on this, I apologize, for I couldn't find it. Please do redirect me there if such a thread exists. If not, please let me know how you got "noticed" or "popular". Thanks in advance.

- Xetryz

washington

i know he doesn't write chip at all, but check out this entry from andy othling's blog. he's a boss at self-promotion and the like.

Thanks man! That helps a ton.

Toronto, Canada

Make really good music.

Chicago IL

STDs

Sweden

When I make a release I post it on facebook and twitter, which helps a lot. Also getting in touch with a label has been great. A good label will probably work on promoting your music, and a great label will draw attention to it just for the sake of the music being released there.

Swansea, UK

Pimp it out on street corners.

Play live.

Collaborate with other artists.

Have really great art.

Connect with music fans.

Give freebies.

shanghai

Make contagious good tunes with integrity.

It will get shared.

Word will spread.

Soundcloud / Bandcamp fame will come.

The world is your oysterz

shanghai
Xetryz wrote:

please let me know how you got "noticed" or "popular". Thanks in advance.

- Xetryz

Dont worry about that shit  - you're doing it wrong.

make music for yourself - if its not shit people will listen to it and before long you will have 'listeners'.

dont make music and spend your time worrying that no one is listening. they will in time if you work hard at it from your soul.

when i started out 7 or so yrs back there was no soundcloud and all that shit - i didnt post anything online for 2 years really. just rocked it in my bro's car and to a few mates.

I think the easy sharing of ones music is both a blessing and a curse nowadays.

Wow, thanks guys. This helps a lot. Thanks Downstate, you have given me a new perspective! smile

Solar System

8 like 8bit rules to get sucessful...
1.) Compose original and fresh music. And be best in your subgenre (listen to inner-self melody).
2.) Use video networks (youtube, vimeo, dailymotion) and let video users use your music in their videos..
3.) Use that ugly sharing services (share, torrent).
4.) Use social networks and make parties for your social network page fans.
5.) Let another artist remix, cover or sing over your songs.
6.) Always support your local town music scene, than state or country where you live.
7.) Make stupid dance moves to your videos like "Gangam Style" or "Harlem Shake".
8.) Alway enjoy your self and your music. Dont dream about fame. But dream about have more fun.

Last edited by Matej (Mar 28, 2013 12:58 pm)

rochester, ny

Don't be spammy.

Don't be hypey.

Don't be anything but genuine.

Don't be concerned with "how to get your music out there".

Just write stuff you like and release professional material often. Be a nice guy.

babylon

i hear putting inverted crosses and triangles on everything is cool. you could try that.

1) believe you are justified a whole bunch of fame for doing something essentially anyone could do
2) everything else follows

Nottingham, UK
extreme zan-zan-zawa-veia wrote:

1) believe you are justified a whole bunch of fame for doing something essentially anyone could do

You've really got that depressive narcissism thing down.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Mar 28, 2013 2:11 pm)

ForaBrokenEarth wrote:
extreme zan-zan-zawa-veia wrote:

You've really got that depressive narcissism thing down.

that was honest advice.